MTR210 Musical Theatre Repertory: Background Material
Background Material: Overview
Much of the factual information typically needed for preparation for the research project and background material for MTR210 can be found in reference books located in the Music Library. If you are interested in more background, or need to conduct additional research, I am happy to help you explore books, databases, and resources in addition to the ones on this page.
In the Library: Reference Books
- Bloom, Ken. American Song: The Complete Musical Theatre Companion. New York : London: Schirmer Books, 1996. MUSIC REF ML128 .M78 B6 1996. 4,800 shows from 1877-1995 with cast lists and main crew of the original productions, the opening and closing dates, and all numbers in the order that they appeared—including numbers that were cut in later productions. Includes song index. For Broadway musicals after 1943, also see Broadway Musicals, 1943-2004.
- Dietz, Dan. Off Broadway Musicals, 1910-2007: Casts, Credits, Songs, Critical Reception and Performance Data of More Than 1,800 Shows. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland & Co., 2010. MUSIC REF ML 1711.8 .N3 D54 2010. Casts, credits, songs, critical reception, performance data, and notes for over 1,800 off-Broadway shows. Arranged by show title, with song and name indexes, chronology, grouping by theme, and bibliography
- Stewart, John. Broadway Musicals, 1943-2004. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland, 2006. MUSIC REF ML102.M88 S74 2006. Excellent source. In addition to detailing how the book is organized and how entries are structured, the preface clearly defines the criteria for “Broadway musical” as used in the book (not as simple as it seems). Unique features: extensive entries, standbys listed, revenue information, additional non-Broadway productions listed.
Also see: annotated list of reference books about musicals in our Musicals and Musical Theatre guide.
Helpful call numbers for browsing for books about musicals and musical theatre:
- ML102.M88… Musicals, reference sources (Reference section)
- ML410… Biographies of composers (General area)
- ML420… Biographies of singers (General area)
- ML1711…Books about musicals and opera (Reference section and general area)
- ML1711.8.N3 Books about musical theater and opera specific to New York City (Reference section and general area)