Chemistry: Best Internet Resources: Home
This guide contains some of the best chemistry resources freely available on the Internet.Last Updated: May 23, 2018 1:28 PM
General Portals and Directories
- About.com Chemistry Directory
- ACS Directory of Graduate Education - Each edition since 1999
- Blue Obelisk - an innovative online community of chemists, programmers, informaticians based on a wiki and committed to open data and open source.
- Chemie.de Information Service - Commercial portal & search engine
- Chemical Industry Directory (ChemIndustry.com) - Suppliers, Equipment, Services, Software
- Chemical Information Sources (CHEMINFO) (Wikibooks, formerly at Indiana University)
- ChemSpider (RSC) - a premier chemistry search engine and much more built around publicly available structures. It searches vast Internet compound collection, patents (from SureChem), and open access journal articles by keyword, element, substructure, molecular formula, and properties.
- CORE - Connecting Repositories (Knowledge Media institute, The Open University) - millions of scholarly articles aggregated from many Open Access repositories.
- Directory of Open Access Journals - Article Search (Lund Univ.) - Use the lower search box to access nearly 1 million OA articles in over 7,700 journals.
- DOE Data Explorer - Master repository of scientific research data for U.S. Dept. of Energy sponsored research
- Electrochemistry Knowledge Base The Electrochemical Society/Dr. Zoltan Nagy) - Thousands of links to web sites, books, definitions, historic publications and much more.
- Europeana - Multi-lingual online collection of millions of digitized items from European museums, libraries, archives and multi-media collections.
- OAIster (OCLC) - Digital, open access/archive resource directory
- NIST Data Gateway - Access to all databases available from NIST's Standard Reference Data (SRD) collections.
- Science.gov - Gateway to authoritative selected science information provided by U.S. Government agencies, including research and development results
- SciTech Connect (DOE) - Search across DOE's vast digital library of reports, articles, datasets, patents, multimedia, sofware and more.
- Virtual Chemistry Center - Martindale's Reference Desk
- WorldWideScience.org - Open access portal & federated search engine covering over 400 million pages from 65 countries. Papers can be translated into nine different languages.
Specific Areas of Chemistry
- Gmelin Handbook of Inorganic Chemistry: A User's Guide - Print handbook available in the Lockwood Science & Engineering Reference Collection on the 1st Floor of the Lockwood Library at the University at Buffalo
- Johnson Matthey Technology Review (formerly Platinum Metals Reviews until 2014) -This journal provides detailed properties and phase diagrams of platinum group metals and their alloys, metal catalysts, and related materials.
See also Properties Data for Chemicals and Materials (Research Guide)
- The A to Z of Materials (Azom) - Searchable database by keyword, application, and property values
- The Plastics Web (IDES) - Includes pricing, industry directories, data sheets and property information. Some content requires a paid subscription
- Polymer Tradename Index (MatWeb)
- SpecialChem Materials Databases - Separate databases cover cosmetics, coatings & inks, adhesives & sealants, polymer additives & colors, bonding & fastening, and plastics & elastomers
See also Toxicology In-depth Research Guide (many of the listed resources are freely available).
- AIDSInfo Drug Database (NLM)
- BindingDB (Univ. of Maryland) -30,000 measured affinities to proteins for over 15,000 small molecule ligands
- Biocatalysis/Biodegradation Database (Univ. of Minnesota) - Contains 1200 compounds, 1300 reactions, 500 microorganism entries, and 800 enzymes.
- BioCyc Database - Pathway/Genome Databases
- BRENDA Enzyme Database (Cologne Univ.) - Free to educational institutions
- Chemical & Engineering News Safety Letters (ACS) - Hazardous reactions reported to C&E News
- Chemical Entities of Biological Interest (ChEBI) [EMBL-EBI] - Compiles information on small molecules from many Internet resources including IntEnz, KEGG Compound, PDBeChem, and ChEMBL.
- DrugBank (Genome Canada/Univ. of Alberta) - Combines detailed data on over 4,300 drugs with comprehensive drug target information
- Drug Information Subject Guide (National Library of Medicine) - extensive top notch guide to pharmaceutical resources including legal, industry, and statistical information of current and in development drugs.
- Human Metabolome Project (Genome Alberta) - Information on over 2,500 molecules produced by metabolic reactions in the body.
- The Merck Manuals - Medical and drug information
- Protein Data Bank (Research Collaboratory for Structural Bioinformatics)
- TOXNET (NLM) - Over a dozen top notch toxicology databases
- Beilstein Handbook of Organic Chemistry Research Guide to print volumes - Available in the Lockwood Book Collection at the University at Buffalo
- Organic Chemistry Portal - includes NMR shift predictions (Reto Muller)
- Organic Chemistry Resources Worldwide - educational, directory, search engine metasite
- Organic Syntheses Monograph Series - Wiley (requires free ChemDraw plug-in)
by Fred Stoss Last Updated May 23, 2018 550 views this year
Properties Data for Chemicals & Materials
by Erin Rowley Last Updated May 3, 2018 671 views this year
Spectra & Spectral Data
by Jill Hackenberg Last Updated May 9, 2018 576 views this year
Toxicology - In-depth Research Guide
by Fred Stoss Last Updated Jul 10, 2018 67 views this year