Music: Audio & Video
Music Audio & Video
Guide to finding recordings in the library (CDs, DVDs, LPs, cassettes, etc.) and streaming media subscriptions provided by the UB Libraries.
In the Library
The Music Library has music recordings on CD, LP (vinyl), and cassettes. We also have music-related videos on VHS and DVD. We have equipment in the library available to play all of these formats. You may also check out items kept at the circulation desk. Media needs to be requested at the desk. You can browse by using the library catalog, and provide us with the call number to get the item. Please note that some music-related films, and many dance-related videos, are located in the Multimedia Collection. As always, if you need assistance finding a recording or video or want more browsing tips, please ask a librarian.
Browsing media in the Catalog
- Select Catalog under Find Library Materials
- Hit Search (you don't need to type anything in)
- Look for facets to the left of the screen. If you are on a mobile device you will need to switch to full site view.
- Under Location, select Music Library
- Under Format, select more...
- Select Music Recording, or other format you are looking for. You may need to click more... to see all options.
You can use any of those limits after you do a search, too. After you search, you can sort results by title, date, or call number.
Browsing in the Classic Catalog (browse by accession number*/date acquired only)
- Select Advanced Search under Search Options
- Under Advanced--Browse an Alphabetical List, choose Call Nos. (Textual) from the dropdown menu
- To browse...
When browsing this way in the Classic Catalog, items will appear in accession number order.
* The CDs, DVDs, LPs, and tapes in the music Library are given their own numbers ("accession numbers") in sequence as they arrive. The only exception is media that accompanies a book or score, which will have the same call number as the print item.
The UB Libraries subscribe to two streaming music databases, DRAM and NAXOS and to several streaming video and sound recording platforms. We ask that when you are done with NAXOS, please log out or close your mobile app to free up space for another listener. Streaming media databases with music content: