Toolkit for SEAS Students: Handbooks, Properties, Patents and More: Standards
What Are Standards, and How Do You Find Them
Standards are detailed instructions that explain how something is to be manufactured, managed, designed, or otherwise handled. There are also standards that provide test methods for materials. Standards are written and published by professional organizations, government agencies, or manufacturers. The Institute for Electrical & Electronics Engineers (IEEE), for example, publishes electronic and electrical engineering-related standards.
Below is a listing of standards here at UB.
To identify standards related to what you are working on, use the following database:
- National Resource for Global Standards Database at http://www.nssn.org/.
- Be sure to re-set the search box to "FIND TITLE, ABSTRACT OR KEYWORD" if searching that way. This will provide you with the acronym and name of the publishing organization (as well as a standard number and the title of the standard).
Then, use the listing below organized by acronym of the organization issuing the standard to see if UB has the standard. If it is not listed, contact Nancy Schiller, Engineering Librarian, firstname.lastname@example.org.
U.S. Industry Standards at UB
The UB Libraries have a selected collection of standards and specifications. Some are in print while others are accessible online. Use this guide to find out which standards are available to you. If you can't find what you need, contact Engineering Librarian, Nancy Schiller, at email@example.com.
AA - Aluminum Association
- Aluminum Standards and Data (2003)
Lockwood Library Sci & Engr Reference Collection TA 480 .A6 A77
- Aluminum Design Manual (2015)
Lockwood Library Sci & Engr Reference Collection TA 690 .A45
AASHTO - American Association of State Highway & Transportation Officials
- LRFD Bridge Design Specifications: Available online via our subscription to Knovel E-Books
- LRFD Bridge Construction Specifications: Available online via our subscription to Knovel E-Books
- Standard Specifications for Highway Bridges: In print in the Lockwood Library Sci & Engr Reference Collection TG 310 .A6
- Guide Specifications for Seismic Isolation Design: In print in the Lockwood Library Sci & Engr Reference Collection TG 265 .A43
- Guide Specifications for LRFD Seismic Bridge Design: Available online via our subscription to Knovel E-Books
- LRFD Guide Specifications for the Design of Pedestrian Bridges: In print in the Lockwood Library Book Collection TG 428 .L74 2009
- Standard Specifications for Structural Supports for Highway Signs, Luminaires, and Traffic Signals: In print in the
Lockwood Library Book Collection TE 228 .S72 2013
- AASHTO / AWS D1.5-95 Bridge Welding Code. In print in the Lockwood Library Sci & Engr Reference Collection TG 315 .B75
ACI - American Concrete Institute
- ACI Manual of Concrete Practice - This multi-volume set (issued annually) contains all of the widely used ACI concrete and masonry code requirements, specifications, guides, and reports. This set is in print and is shelved in the Lockwood Library Science & Engineering Reference Collection under the call number TA 439 .A64. Please Note: Since ACI does not print the full text of every standard and guide annually, you may find only a single-page synopsis for the desired standard or guide in the most current edition. If you find such a synopsis page, contact Nancy Schiller, Engineering Librarian, firstname.lastname@example.org.
APHA / AWWA / WPCF - American Public Health Association, American Water Works Association, and Water Pollution Control Federation
- Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater (22nd ed., 2012)
Lockwood Library Sci & Engr Reference Collection QD142 .A5
ASCE - American Society of Civil Engineers
- We have most current ASCE standards in print. These are shelved either in the Lockwood Science & Engineering Reference Collection on the 1st floor of Lockwood Library or in the Lockwood Book Collection. To locate them in the UB Libraries' collections, use the listing on the ASCE standards webpage to get the full title and then search by the title in the UB Libraries Catalog to get the library location and call number information or contact the Engineering Librarian at email@example.com.
ASTM - American Society for Testing & Materials
- ASTM Standards - UB has all of the ASTM standards in print. The title of this 70+-volume set is The Annual Book of ASTM Standards. It is kept on the lower level inside Lockwood Library in the Science & Engineering Reference Collection, where it is shelved under the call number TA 401 .A64. Volume 1 is the index for the set and contains both a subject and alphanumeric listing of all of the standards included in the collection. If you need an ASTM standard from this set, you can contact Nancy Schiller, Engineering Librarian, firstname.lastname@example.org.
IEEE - Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineers
- IEEE Standards (Current) via IEEE Xplore - UB has online access to the full text of all IEEE standards through IEEE Xplore. Click on IEEE Xplore. Once connected, from the top menu select BROWSE and then from the pull-down menu select "Standards"; then use the search box to search by keyword or by standard number if you have one.
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
- SAE Handbook (2010 edition) - This handbook contains the "J" series standards produced by SAE (but not the "AMS" or "AS" standards). The lastest edition we have is the 2010 edition, which is on a CD. This CD contains the full text of all SAE automotive "J" (Ground Vehicle) standards current as of that date. You can ask for it at the Silverman Library Circulation Desk on the 1st floor of Capen Hall by the CD number 5341. Older, print editions are shelved in the Lockwood Book Collection on the 3rd floor under the call number TL159 .S62.
U.S. Military Standards and Specfications
We do not in general collect international standards. Exceptions are noted below for IEC and ISO.
IEC - International Electrotechnical Commission
- We have several IEC standards related to medical devices in our collection in print:
- Medical electrical equipment. Part 1 General requirements for basic safety and essential performance. Lockwood Library Sci & Engr Reference Collection R856.6 .M43 2012
- Medical electrical equipment. Part 1-2, General requirements for basic safety and essential performance--collateral standard: electromagnetic disturbances--requirements and tests. Lockwood Library Sci & Engr Reference Collection R856.6 .M4312 2014
- Medical electrical equipment. Part 1-6, General requirements for basic safety and essential performance--collateral standard: usability. Lockwood Library Reference Collection R856.6 .M4313 2013
- Medical devices. Part 1, Application of usability engineering to medical devices. Lockwood Library Sci & Engr Reference Collection R856.6 .M43 2015
- We also have one joint IEC / ISO standard in the ISO 9000 series: ISO / IEC 9001:2015: Quality management systems: requirements. Health Sciences Library Book Collection HD 62.15 Q1 2015
ISO - International Organization for Standardization
- The ISO 9000 series is used worldwide as an international standard for quality assurance and quality control. We have one of the standards in this series: ISO / IEC 9001:2015: Quality management systems: requirements. Health Sciences Library Book Collection HD 62.15 Q1 2015.
Begin Your Research in Knovel
|Excellent place to start researching any engineering topic and for help with homework assignments, Knovel provides full-text access to an online collection of several thousand science and engineering book, many of which have interactive tables, graphs and equations.|