ITA 405 - Italian Landscapes and Literature in Cinema: Home
- Search UB Libraries' Catalog to locate books on your topic. There are four basic ways to search the Catalog:
- Keywords (use the Boolean operator "AND" to connect key terms) Sample search: immigration AND film
- Title (omit initial articles such as ‘the' and ‘a')
Sample search: Dolce vita
- Another good search: Motion pictures -- Italy -- History
- Author (last name first) sample search: barthes, roland
- For more help searching the Catalog or Contact a Librarian for assistance.
- Italy : fiction, theater, poetry, film since 1950 byCall Number: PQ4087 .I82 2000ISBN: 9780918680907Publication Date: 2000-11-01
- A New Guide to Italian Cinema byCall Number: PN1993.5 .I88 C45 2007ISBN: 9781403975652Publication Date: 2007-06-06This book is a complete reworking and update of Marga Cottino-Jones' popular A Student's Guide to Italian Film (1983, 1993) . This guide retains earlier editions' interest in renowned films and directors but is also attentive to the popular films which achieved box office success among the public.
- The History of Italian Cinema byCall Number: PN1993.5 .I88 B69313 2009ISBN: 9780691119885Publication Date: 2009-04-12The History of Italian Cinema is the most comprehensive guide to Italian film ever published. Written by the foremost scholar of Italian cinema and presented here for the first time in English, this landmark book traces the complete history of filmmaking in Italy, from its origins in the silent era through its golden age in the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s, and its subsequent decline to its resurgence today. Gian Piero Brunetta covers more than 1,500 films, discussing renowned masters including Roberto Rossellini and Federico Fellini, as well as directors lesser known outside Italy like Dino Risi and Ettore Scola. He examines overlooked Italian genre films such as horror movies, comedies, and Westerns, and he also devotes attention to neglected periods like the Fascist era. Brunetta illuminates the epic scope of Italian filmmaking, showing it to be a powerful cultural force in Italy and leaving no doubt about its enduring influence abroad. Encompassing the social, political, and technical aspects of the craft, he recreates the world of Italian cinema, giving readers rare insights into the actors, cinematographers, film critics, and producers that have made Italian cinema unique. Brunetta's passion as a true fan of Italian movies comes across on every page of this panoramic guide. A delight for film lovers everywhere, The History of Italian Cinema reveals the full artistry of Italian film.
- Italian Film byCall Number: PN1993.5 .I88 L38 2000ISBN: 0521640091Publication Date: 2000-04-13Italian Film examines the extraordinary cinematic tradition of Italy, from the silent era to the present. Analyzing film within the framework of Italy's historical, social, political, and cultural evolution during the twentieth century, Marcia Landy traces the construction of a coherent national cinema and its changes over time. Examining the cinematic uses of landscape, architecture, regional, rural, and metropolitan locales, and representations of social customs and rituals, Landy also discusses genres, stars, narrative and anti-narrative forms. This study traces how social institutions as well as Italian notions of masculinity and femininity are dealt with in cinema and how they are central to the conceptions (and misconceptions) of national identity. It also demonstrates the vital links between Italian film and other art forms, including opera, popular music, literature, and painting. A comprehensive survey of this subject, Italian Film also offers fresh readings of key films from each period surveyed.
- Gale eBooks (formerly Gale Virtual Reference Library) This link opens in a new windowFull-text entries from encyclopedias and reference works published by Gale Group More InfoFull-Text UB ONLY
- Literature Online This link opens in a new windowIndividual collections of poetry, fiction, drama & much more. More InfoFull-Text UB ONLY
Scholarly journal articles
- Project Muse This link opens in a new windowFull-text journals in the humanities & social sciences. More InfoFull-Text UB ONLY
- MLA International Bibliography This link opens in a new windowLiterature, language, linguistics & folklore-related research. More InfoPartial Full-Text UB ONLY
- Communication & Mass Media Complete This link opens in a new windowQuality research related to communication and mass media. More InfoPartial Full-Text UB ONLY
423 Lockwood Library