M3 & M4 Resources: Clerkships
Resources for 3rd and 4th year medical students.Last Updated: May 3, 2023 11:22 AM
Electronic access: Any book that has a hyperlinked title is available online through the University at Buffalo Libraries. Log in with your UBIT name and password if you are off campus.
Print access: Click on the hyperlinked call numbers to check availability. Most print books are housed in Abbott Library on the South Campus. Older editions may be available in the stacks on the 2nd floor in Abbott Library. Check the catalog for details.
FMD-700 Family Medicine
- Seidel's Guide to Physical Examination byISBN: 9780323761833Publication Date: 2022-03-02Learn how to conduct a patient-centered health history and physical examination! Seidel's Guide to Physical Examination: An Interprofessional Approach, 10th Edition takes a uniquely interprofessional collaborative approach to health assessment, with a strong emphasis on lifespan considerations and differential diagnosis of unexpected findings. Each core chapter is organized into four sections - Anatomy and Physiology, Review of Related History, Examination and Findings, and Abnormalities - with lifespan content integrated into each area. Written by a team of nurse practitioners and physicians, this one-of-a-kind textbook uses evidence-based guidelines to help you master hands-on exam techniques as well as communication skills that build rapport and trust with the patient.
- Case Files Family Medicine 5th Edition byISBN: 9781260468595Publication Date: 2020-11-06Case Files: Family Medicine presents realistic clinical scenarios to enhance and hone your clinical decision-making skills. Sixty high-yield cases illustrate essential concepts in patient care. Each case begins with a vignette accompanied by relevant open-ended questions designed to teach diagnostic or therapeutic approaches relevant to family medicine. The answers that follow emphasize mechanisms and underlying principles.
- Beckmann and Ling's Obstetrics and Gynecology byCall Number: WP 140 O14 2019 (Abbott reserve)ISBN: 9781496353092Publication Date: 2018-05-03Published in collaboration with the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, this highly respected resource provides the foundational knowledge medical students need to complete an Ob/Gyn rotation, pass national standardized exams, and competently care for women in clinical practice. Fully compliant with the College's guidelines, treatment recommendations, and committee opinions, the text also aligns with the Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics' educational objectives, upon which most clerkship evaluations and final exams are based. Six comprehensive units cover all essential information on General Obstetrics and Gynecology; Obstetrics, Medical and Surgical Disorders in Pregnancy; Gynecology, Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility; and Gynecologic Oncology and Uterine Leiomyoma.
- Case Files Obstetrics and Gynecology, Sixth Edition byISBN: 9781260468786Publication Date: 2021-10-01The 60 cases in Case Files Obstetrics & Gynecology feature realistic clinical scenarios designed to help you enhance and hone your clinical decision-making skills. Each case includes an easy-to-understand discussion correlated to key concepts, definitions of key terms, clinical pearls, and Board-style review questions to reinforce learning.
- Essentials of General Surgery and Surgical Specialties byCall Number: WO 500 E782 2019 (Abbott reserve)ISBN: 9781496351043Publication Date: 2018-12-06Now combining general surgery and the specialties in one volume, this Sixth Edition of Essentials of General Surgery and Surgical Specialties focuses on the information all medical students need to know to pass the NBME surgery shelf or other surgery rotation examinations. This new edition of Lawrence's popular text offers concise, high-yield content and a smaller format ideal for study on the go. Updated to reflect the latest advances in the field, it provides the authoritative, up-to-date content today's busy medical students need for exam success.
- Case Files Surgery, Sixth Edition byISBN: 9781260468809Publication Date: 2021-10-22The 60 cases in Case Files: Surgery feature realistic clinical scenarios designed to help you enhance and hone your clinical decision-making skills. Each case includes an easy-to-understand discussion correlated to key concepts, definitions of key terms, clinical pearls, and Board-style review questions to reinforce learning. The format allows you to review a patient vignette and then explore/examine the case in a contextual, application-based manner.
NEU-801 Basic Clinical Neurology
- Practical Neurology byISBN: 9781496326959Publication Date: 2017-01-13This popular reference is a concise complement to core neurology texts, providing easy access to the clinically relevant information you need to know. Uses a problem-oriented format that shows you how to approach the patient with a variety of disorders; the second half of the book discusses treatment options.
- DeJong's the Neurologic Examination byISBN: 9781496386168Publication Date: 2019-07-09This popular reference is the definitive guide on exam techniques for neurology residents, fellows, and practitioners, integrating details of neuroanatomy and diagnosis in an easy-to-read, easy-to-follow format. Anatomical and exam illustrations ensure proper technique, and illustrative case studies and tables summarize differentials and clinical findings. Incorporates an intuitive, clinical focus, helping you quickly gain practical knowledge you can use immediately in practice.
- Lange Clinical Neurology and Neuroanatomy: a Localization-Based Approach byISBN: 9781259834400Publication Date: 2016-12-23Clinical Neurology and Neuroanatomy delivers a clear, logical discussion of the complex relationship between neuroanatomical structure and function and neurologic disease. Written in a clear, concise style, this unique text offers a concise overview of fundamental neuroanatomy and the clinical localization principles necessary to diagnose and treat patients with neurologic diseases. Unlike other neurology textbooks that either focus on neuroanatomy or clinical neurology, Clinical Neurology and Neuroanatomy integrates the two in manner which simulates the way neurologists learn, teach, and think.
- Lange Clinical Neurology byCall Number: WL 100 A517c 2021 (Abbott reserve)ISBN: 9781260458350Publication Date: 2020-11-13Clinical Neurology, Eleventh Edition, provides a comprehensive overview of basic and clinical neurology in a concise, digestible format. It links clinical neuroscience to current approaches for accurately diagnosing and effectively treating neurologic disorders. Covering all the advances in molecular biology and genetics, this popular guide emphasizes history-taking and neurologic examination as the cornerstones of diagnosis.
- Case Files Neurology, Third Edition byISBN: 9780071848008Publication Date: 2017-11-03Sixty high-yield clinical cases focus on the core competencies for the neurology clerkship. Each case includes extended discussion, definition of key terms, clinical pearls, and USMLE-style review questions.
MED-700 Internal Medicine
- Cecil Essentials of Medicine byISBN: 9780323722711Publication Date: 2021-04-19Known for its concise, easy-to-read writing style and comprehensive coverage, Cecil Essentials of Medicine has been a favorite of students, residents, and instructors through nine outstanding editions. This revised 10th Edition continues the tradition of excellence with a focus on high-yield core knowledge of key importance to anyone entering or established in the field of internal medicine.
- Symptom to Diagnosis an Evidence Based Guide, Fourth Edition byISBN: 9781260121117Publication Date: 2019-11-21Symptom to Diagnosis, Fourth Edition teaches an evidence-based, step-by-step process for evaluating, diagnosing, and treating patients based on their clinical complaints. By applying this process clinicians will be able to recognize specific diseases and prescribe the most effective therapy. Each chapter is built around a common patient complaint that illustrates essential concepts and provides insight into the process by which the differential diagnosis is identified.
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, Twenty-First Edition (Vol. 1 & Vol. 2) byISBN: 9781264268504Publication Date: 2022-03-28Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine is the world's most trusted clinical medicine text--and a superb resource for learning the art and science of clinical reasoning. Recognized by healthcare professionals worldwide as the leading authority on applied pathophysiology and clinical medicine, Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine provides the informational foundation you need for the best patient care possible. This new edition is fully updated with timely new chapters and essential updates across the spectrum of internal medicine.
- Case Files Internal Medicine, Sixth Edition byISBN: 9781260469967Publication Date: 2020-11-10Case Files: Internal Medicine presents realistic clinical scenarios to enhance and hone your clinical decision-making skills. Sixty high-yield cases illustrate essential concepts in internal medicine. Each case includes an easy-to-understand discussion correlated to key concepts, definitions of key terms, clinical pearls, and board-style review questions to reinforce your learning.
- Resident Readiness Internal Medicine byISBN: 9780071773188Publication Date: 2013-06-19Inside is a full range of clinical scenarios you may experience during your internal medicine residency, supported by comprehension questions with detailed answer explanations and tips to remember. You will also learn the clinical problem-solving process so you can think quickly on your feet, especially when time is critical.
- Learning Radiology: Recognizing the Basics byISBN: 0323567282Publication Date: 2020
- Primary Care Radiology byCall Number: WN 180 P952 2000 (Abbott stacks)ISBN: 9780721683331Publication Date: 2000-02-18This book is designed to help practitioners select appropriate radiologic tests for a full range of disorders from simple x-rays to sophisticated imaging studies.
- Rapid Interpretation of EKG's byCall Number: WG 18.2 D814r 2000 (Abbott stacks)ISBN: 9780912912066Publication Date: 2000-10-01A caption explains the concept illustrated on each page, and a few simple sentences reinforce the concept with interactive (programmed) learning, which links to the following page. Practice twelve-lead tracings at the end establish self-confidence, and summarised reference sheets with examples (designed to be copied) provide an excellent review.
- Nelson Essentials of Pediatrics byCall Number: WS 100 N425 2019 (med school library)ISBN: 9780323511452Publication Date: 2018-03-29Nelson Essentials of Pediatrics, 8th Edition, is a concise, focused resource for medical students, pediatric residents, PAs, and nurse practitioners. Ideal for pediatric residencies, clerkships, and exams, this 8th Edition offers a readable, full-color format; high-yield, targeted chapters; and new features that make it even more user-friendly for today's in-training professionals or practitioners.
- Case Files Pediatrics, Sixth Edition byISBN: 9781260474954Publication Date: 2021-10-08The 60 cases in Case Files Pediatrics feature realistic clinical scenarios designed to help you enhance and hone your clinical decision-making skills. Each case includes an easy-to-understand discussion correlated to key concepts, definitions of key terms, clinical pearls, and Board-style review questions to reinforce learning. The format allows you to review a patient vignette and then explore/examine the case in a contextual, application-based manner.
- Introductory Textbook of Psychiatry byISBN: 9781615373123Publication Date: 2020-05-04Now in its seventh edition, this bestselling guide is organized along the lines of DSM-5® and has been updated to reflect changes to the manual, including new medications and therapies. Rigorous in scope, Introductory Textbook of Psychiatry is nevertheless accessible and conversational in tone. It employs fascinating case vignettes, clinical pearls, self-assessment questions, and tables and figures as it offers a summary of: * The DSM-5® diagnostic system* The neurobiological basis of psychiatry* Interviewing and assessment -- including specific questions that patients can be asked* The various psychiatric disorders* Legal issues* Psychiatric emergencies* Treatment
- Case Files Psychiatry, Sixth Edition byISBN: 9781260468731Publication Date: 2020-11-18The 60 cases in Case Files: Psychiatry feature realistic clinical scenarios designed to help you enhance and hone your clinical decision-making skills. Each case includes an easy-to-understand discussion correlated to key concepts, definitions of key terms, clinical pearls, and Board-style review questions to reinforce learning.
IDM-701 Dilemmas in Clinical Medicine
- Resolving Ethical Dilemmas byCall Number: WB 60 L795r 2020 (Abbott reserve)ISBN: 9781975103545Publication Date: 2019-03-20Resolving Ethical Dilemmas: A Guide for Clinicians helps residents, students, and practitioners work through common and challenging ethical questions that affect patient care. The 6th Edition reflects important changes in medicine and healthcare policy and provides additional clarity to complex concepts. Offering practical, real-world advice, it helps you think through and resolve difficult cases, prompting thoughtful, well-reasoned answers to the question of "What do I do in this situation?"
Librarian and Liaison to the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
3435 Main St.
Buffalo, NY 14214
3435 Main St.
Buffalo, NY 14214