Chemistry: Best Internet Resources: Educational
This guide contains some of the best chemistry resources freely available on the Internet.Last Updated: Aug 9, 2018 2:01 PM
Educational Resources & Web Courses
See also the Software Tab.
- ACS Chemistry Education Resources - from elementary school graduate education
- The ChemCollective (Carnegie Mellon/NSDL) - Virtual labs and scenario-based learning
- Chemical Education Digital Library - a clearinghouse and archive of quality education resources including online textbooks, tutorials, modeling, and virtual laboratory exercise. Users are encouraged to contribute, organize, and evaluate the material.
- Chemical Information Instructional Materials (part of Chemical Information Sources Wikibooks, formerly at Indiana Univ.) - See also XCITR.
- How Products Are Made (Advameg) - Scores of detailed descriptions from accordions to zirconium. Reliability of information difficult to verify.
- Indiana Cheminformatics Education Portal (ICEP) (Indiana University) - repository of freely accessible cheminformatics educational materials maintained by David Wild.
- Master Organic Chemistry: Resource Guide (James Ashenhurst) - a brief, but well-done guide to various instructional material freely available on the web.
- National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) Learning Center- more than 6,300 different resources, of which over 1,900 are free. Searchable by grade level and type of resource (lesson plans, SciPacks, podcasts, etc.) Includes a browsable, comprehensive, full-text collection of state learning standards.
- Practical Chemistry (Nuffield Foundation/RSC) - A large number of detailed, clear descriptions of simple high school laboratory experiments helpfully grouped by topics. Each write up includes needed chemicals & apparatus, procedures, health & safety, and teaching notes.
- Principles of Chemical Science (MIT OpenCourseWare) - includes video lectures, lecture notes, and exams.
- Science Education Games & Puzzles (Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility)
- Science360 (NSF) - Gathers the latest science videos provided by scientists, universities, research centers, NSF, and others. Exceptional navigation features. Focuses on cutting-edge discoveries and big science stories of the day.
- SciTalks: Smart people on cool topics (Lee Vodra) - Excellent science videos, many by prominent researchers. Caution: Videos are self posted. Copyright & accuracy uncertain.
- What's That Stuff (ACS) - Chemical composition of everyday items like Silly Putty and cheese whiz
- Writing Guidelines for Engineering and Science Students (Penn State Univ.) - a particularly useful and comprehensive guide to good scientific writing.
- XCITR - eXplore Chemical Information Teaching Resources - international repository for sharing chemical information teaching resources. Designed for librarians, teachers, and professors. A successor to Indiana University's Clearinghouse for Chemical Information Instructional Materials. See also Chemical Information Instructional Materials Wikibook.