International & Foreign Sources: Just the Basics: Home
A Few Basic Sources
International/Foreign Law Resources
- International Legal Research Tutorial (Duke/Berkeley)
The sources of international law are outlined in Article 38 of the Statute of the International Court of Justice (ICJ)
- Treaties in Force. United States. Dept. of State. Treaty Affairs Staff
(Law Ref JX 236.5 T74)
Also online: LEXIS, Westlaw, and HeinOnline
- A Guide to the United States Treaties in Force. Kavass & Sprudzs
(Law Ref JX236.5 .T745)
Also on Hein Online http://heinonline.org/HOL/Index?index=ustreaties/gtif&collection=ustreaties
- Multilateral treaties deposited with the Secretary-General
(Law Ref JX 171 U372a)
Also online: United Nations Treaty Collection
Once you get to the database, click on Status of Treaties (MTDSG)
Also in the UN Law Collection on Hein Online.
See Also Treaty Sources Guide (UB) https://research.lib.buffalo.edu/treaty-sources
Encyclopedias & Treatises
- Encyclopedia of Public International Law. Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law (NOTE: Database accessible only IN THE LAW LIBRARY.) (earlier edition in print: Ref JX 1226 E5 1992)
- Encyclopedia of the United Nations and International Agreements. Osmanczyk, Edmund Jan (Law Ref Desk KZ 4968 084 2003 )
- Encyclopedia of Human Rights. David P. Forsythe (Law REF JC571 .E673 2009)
Online (available only in the Law Library):
- Restatement (Third) of Foreign Relations Law. American Law Institute (Law Ref KF 4651 R47 1987)
Also online: Westlaw & LEXIS & HeinOnline http://www.heinonline.org/HOL/Index?index=ali/rethdfr&collection=ali
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
Search full text of scores of encyclopedias on many subjects
- Audiovisual Library of International Law (click on Welcome; Research Library; Jurisprudence)
International Law Reports. Butterworth & Co (KZ199 .I58)
- International Legal Materials. American Society of International Law
(Law Ref KZ64 I62 )
Also online: HeinOnline, LEXIS, and Westlaw.
- Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals.
- (Law Ref K33 .I38)
- Public International Law. Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law (Law Ref JZ 5 P83)
- Legal Journals Index. (on Westlaw)
LJI database--- indexes articles from legal journals (1986+) published in the United Kingdom and Europe as well as journals covering topics pertaining to the laws of the European Community and its Member States.
- Szladits’ Bibliography on Foreign and Comparative Law.
Also on Hein Online http://heinonline.org/HOL/Index?index=parker/szlad&collection=parker
(Law Ref K 38 B536) Index to English language books and (for earlier dates) journal articles.
- Index to Legal Periodicals and Books; also Westlaw and Lexis*
- Index to Legal Periodicals and Books Retrospective
- LegalTrac (also Westlaw and Lexis, but known as Legal Resource Index (LRI))
Foreign Law Resources
- The Foreign Law Guide.
(Print version, Foreign Law: Current Sources of Codes and Basic Legislation in Jurisdictions of the World by T. Reynolds & A. Flores (Law Ref K 38 R49 1989), is no longer updated.)
- Martindale-Hubbell International Law Digest.
(Law Ref KF 190 H824 )
Also on LEXIS.
- Modern Legal Systems Cyclopedia. K. Redden ed. (Ref K530 .M62 1984)
- Doing Business Law Library (World Bank) Business laws and regulations (full-text) from countries worldwide. Covers: Banking and Credit Laws
Bankruptcy and Collateral Laws; Civil Codes; Civil Procedure Codes; Commercial and Company Laws; Constitutions; Labor Laws; Land and Building Laws; Privacy Laws; Securities Laws; Tax Laws; Trade Laws.
- International Encyclopedia of Comparative Law. (Law REF K 530 I57) See basic outline of entire encyclopedia on the back cover of any paperback issue. Go to front of each paperback issue for outline of contents for individual issue. No index.
- Constitutions of the Countries of the World. (Law K3157 .A2 B58)
Oxford Constitutions of the World (online) - (only in the Law Library)
- World Constitutions Illustrated
- Foreign Databases/Collections By Jurisdiction (NYU)
- FISHLEX (FAO) Coastal State Requirements for Foreign Fishing
- WATERLEX (FAO) national legislation on water resources. Includes tool to compare countries.
- PORTLEX (FAO) provides access to port state measures (PSM) adopted by states to prevent, deter and eliminate Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated fishing (IUU fishing).
- Global Data Protection Laws (DLA Piper)
United Nations Resources
- United Nations
- Yearbook of the United Nations United Nations (covering 1946-2007+)
(Law Ref JX 1977.A37 Y4)
- United Nations Law Collection (on HeinOnline)
includes UN Treaty Collection, Yearbook of the United Nations, ICJ judgments and materials…and much more.
Germain's transnational law research : a guide for attorneys. Claire M. Germain (Law Ref K 85 G47 1991)
Guide to international legal research. The George Washington journal of international law and economics.
KZ1234 .G85 (Most recent edition located in REFERENCE)
Globalex Guides http://www.nyulawglobal.org/globalex/
--International, Comparative, Foreign
ASIL (American Society for International Law) http://www.asil.org/
--ASIL Insights http://www.asil.org/insights
"...concise, objective, and timely background for recent developments of interest to the international community."
- ELECTRONIC RESOURCES http://www.asil.org/resources/eresources
- --Electronic Resource Guide (ERG)
A guide to "web resources covering the full spectrum of international law"
- --The Electronic Information System for International Law (EISIL)
"...quality primary materials, authoritative web sites and helpful research guides to international law on the Internet..."
More Useful Links
- Foreign and International Law Websites (UB links)
- Basic Research Tools (UB Research Guide)