Western New York in Maps, Charts, and Images: UB Collection
UB Map Collection
The UB Map Collection has maps, charts, aerial and satellite photos, and online maps of Western New York, including Erie, Niagara, and other local counties. These maps are in a variety of scales and describe many different aspects of the city and the region.
Most of these maps are located either under a Library of Congress call number, or under the U.S. Government, Superintendent of Documents (SuDocs) numbering system. All of these maps may be located using the Libraries' Catalog, and then retrieving the desired map from the map drawer.
Search Tip: When searching the Libraries' Catalog you may find listings using the following search tip: Enter a subject search, beginning with erie county n y--maps. The following is an example:
s = erie county n y--maps
This will locate almost all Erie County maps. To locate topographic maps of Buffalo, enter the following:
s = buffalo n y--maps topographic
Among this collection are what are referred to as historical topographic maps. These are older topographic maps (1895-1950) of New York State that are kept in the Map Collection Reference Room. Searching the Libraries' Catalog is the same as for regular topographic maps. To see some examples of these maps, view the Historical Topographic Maps of Buffalo page.
You may also perform an advanced search using the "Maps" format to limit your search to only maps and atlases.
If you need further assistance, please contact the Lockwood Library Reference Desk, by calling 716-645-2820 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Maps of Western New York (in Map Collection and online databases).
- Buffalo New York maps. Sister page providing local maps.
- Aerial Photograph Collection. Included in the UB collection are aerial photographs and satellite imagery coverage of Erie and Niagara counties for the years 1927, 1966, and 1978. In addition, the Map Collection contains a small collection of miscellaneous satellite imagery of United States cities. please contact the map librarian or Lockwood Library Reference Desk.
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps. The UB Map Collection has the 1991 edition of the city of Buffalo, on microfilm. The reels are in the Map Collection Reference Room and can be viewed in the Map Collection. Ask the map librarian or a reference librarian for assistance.
- Digital Sanborn Maps. The Arts & Sciences Libraries also have a subscription to the digital edition (available to the UB community), providing electronic access to Sanborn fire insurance maps of cities and towns in New York State (1867-1970). The maps are valuable tools for urban specialists, social historians, architects, geographers, genealogists, local historians, planners, and environmentalists.
- New York State topo quadrangle maps: for online access to New York topo quads, see also the New York State Gazetteer & GeoData Collection. This UB Libraries page provides a gazetteer, along with the digital collection of downloadable USGS topographic maps, such as georeferenced Digital Raster Graphics (DRG's). These maps are suitable for both general use and GIS applications.
- Soil survey of Erie County, New York / United States Department of Agriculture, Soil Conservation Service ; in cooperation with the Cornell University Agricultural Experiment Station. [Washington, D.C.?] : The Service, 1986. These soil surveys are available in print in the following UB locations:
- Lockwood Library General Collection / S591 .A22 N.Y. Erie
- Lockwood Library Science & Engineering Reference Collection / S591 .A22 N.Y. Erie
- Libraries Annex: US A 57.38: Er 4
- Abbott Library Architecture & Planning / General Book Collection: S599.N7 S55 1986
- Abbott Library Architecture & Planning / Course Reserve: S599.N7 S55 1986.
- Water Resources of Western New York (USGS) .Individual documents by region; choose WNY links for data and maps.
Topographic maps used for people who use compass or GPS equipment to practice ground navigation. The following examples were produced for the Buffalo Orienteering Club: