LIN 106: Languages of the World: Home
Reference Sources and Language Overviews
- GlottologComprehensive reference information for the world's languages, especially the lesser known languages.
- Concise Encyclopedia of Languages of the World byCall Number: Lockwood Library Reference Collection P29 .C66 2009ISBN: 9780080877747Publication Date: 2008-10-28Concise Encyclopedia of Languages of the World is an authoritative single-volume reference resource comprehensively describing the major languages and language families of the world. It will provide full descriptions of the phonology, semantics, morphology, and syntax of the world's major languages, giving insights into their structure, history and development, sounds, meaning, structure, and language family, thereby both highlighting their diversity for comparative study, and contextualizing them according to their genetic relationships and regional distribution. Based on the highly acclaimed and award-winning Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics, this volume will provide an edited collection of almost 400 articles throughout which a representative subset of the world's major languages are unfolded and explained in up-to-date terminology and authoritative interpretation, by the leading scholars in linguistics. In highlighting the diversity of the world's languages -- from the thriving to the endangered and extinct -- this work will be the first point of call to any language expert interested in this huge area. No other single volume will match the extent of language coverage or the authority of the contributors of Concise Encyclopedia of Languages of the World.
- Classification and Index of the World's Languages byCall Number: Lockwood Reference P203 .V6ISBN: 9780444001559Publication Date: 1976-11-01
- The Handbook of Linguistics byCall Number: EbookISBN: 9781405102520Publication Date: 2003-02-24Presupposing no prior knowledge of linguistics,The Handbook of Linguistics is the ideal resource for people who want to learn about the subject and its subdisciplines.
We have some great language-specific encyclopedias out there for you to use!
Make sure to try the Best Basic Resources section and choose a set of encyclopedias. I like Gale eBooks a lot!
- Gale eBooks (formerly Gale Virtual Reference Library) This link opens in a new windowFull-text entries from encyclopedias and reference works published by Gale Group More InfoFull-Text UB ONLY
- Cambridge Histories Online This link opens in a new windowsee Cambridge Core More InfoPartial Full-Text UB ONLY
For finding books about grammar, try searching "XXXX language grammar"
Subject headings are a powerful search tool. For example, clicking "Tibetan language -- Grammar" under Subjects on the catalog record will bring back all of the books on that exact topic for you,
- UB Libraries Catalog This link opens in a new windowA listing of books, journal titles, and other materials held by the UB Libraries.PUBLIC
Databases for articles
- MLA International Bibliography This link opens in a new windowLiterature, language, linguistics & folklore-related research. More InfoPartial Full-Text UB ONLY
- Academic Search Complete This link opens in a new windowComprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database. More InfoFull-Text UB ONLY
Found an article or book, but the Library doesn't have it? Try Delivery+!
423 Lockwood Library
Let me help!
Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions! We can meet in my office or via Zoom! Whatever is easiest for you!
Search the library
- Everything This link opens in a new windowThe "Everything" search engine, powered by Ex Libris Primo VE, provides a Google-like experience, allowing researchers to use one search box to discover reliable library content. More InfoUB ONLY