LIN 431/531: Home
Course project guideLast Updated: Aug 25, 2022 5:31 PM
Reference sources, aka "Start Here"
- GlottologComprehensive reference information for the world's languages, especially the lesser known languages.
- Evolutionary Phonology byISBN: 9780511486357Publication Date: 2009-09-22Evolutionary Phonology is a theory of sound patterns which synthesizes results in historical linguistics, phonetics and phonological theory. In this book, Juliette Blevins explores the nature of sounds patterns and sound change in human language over the past 7000-8000 years, the time depth for which the comparative method is reasonably reliable. This book presents an approach to the problem of how genetically unrelated languages, from families as far apart as Native American, Australian Aboriginal, Austronesian and Indo-European, can often show similar sound patterns, and also tackles the converse problem of why there are notable exceptions to most of the patterns that are often regarded as universal tendencies or constraints. It argues that in both cases, a formal model of sound change that integrates phonetic variation and patterns of misperception can account for attested sound systems without reference to markedness or naturalness within the synchronic grammar.
- The Sounds of the World's Languages byISBN: 9780631198147Publication Date: 1995-10-01This book gives a description of all the known ways in which the sounds of the world's languages differ. In doing so, it provides the empirical foundations for linguistic phonetics and phonology.
- Classification and Index of the World's Languages byCall Number: Lockwood Reference P203 .V6ISBN: 9780444001559Publication Date: 1976-11-01
- The Handbook of Linguistics byCall Number: EbookISBN: 9781405102520Publication Date: 2003-02-24Presupposing no prior knowledge of linguistics,The Handbook of Linguistics is the ideal resource for people who want to learn about the subject and its subdisciplines.
- EthnologueFind, read about, and research the world's 7,097 known living languages.
- Handbook of Phonological Theory byCall Number: Lockwood Reference P217 .H27 2011ISBN: 9781405157681Publication Date: 2011-10-17The Handbook of Phonological Theory, second edition offers an innovative and detailed examination of recent developments in phonology, and the implications of these within linguistic theory and related disciplines. Revised from the ground-up for the second edition, the book is comprised almost entirely of newly-written and previously unpublished chapters Addresses the important questions in the field including learnability, phonological interfaces, tone, and variation, and assesses the findings and accomplishments in these domains Brings together a renowned and international contributor team Offers new and unique reflections on the advances in phonological theory since publication of the first edition in 1995 Along with the first edition, still in publication, it forms the most complete and current overview of the subject in print
Databases for articles
- LLBA This link opens in a new windowLinguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts
- MLA International Bibliography This link opens in a new windowLiterature, language, linguistics & folklore-related research. More InfoPartial Full-Text UB ONLY
- Academic Search Complete This link opens in a new windowComprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database. More InfoFull-Text UB ONLY
Found an article or book, but the Library doesn't have it? Try Delivery+!
- Ebook Library (EBL) This link opens in a new windowThis database has merged into ProQuest Ebook Central. More InfoFull-Text UB ONLY
- WorldCat Discovery This link opens in a new windowInformation about books and many other types of materials held by libraries around the world. More InfoUB ONLY
For finding books about grammar, try searching "XXXX language grammar"
Subject headings are a powerful search tool. For example, clicking "Tibetan language -- Grammar" under Subjects on the catalog record will bring back all of the books on that exact topic for you,
- UB Libraries Catalog This link opens in a new windowA listing of books, journal titles, and other materials held by the UB Libraries.PUBLIC
423 Lockwood Library
Search the library
- Everything This link opens in a new windowThe "Everything" search engine, powered by Ex Libris Primo VE, provides a Google-like experience, allowing researchers to use one search box to discover reliable library content. More InfoUB ONLY