Digital Exhibits: Scalar
This guide will walk you through the basics of preparing your content for digital exhibition, and will give an overview of several applications that can be used to create exhibits.Last Updated: Mar 29, 2022 12:37 PM
Scalar is a free, open source authoring and publishing platform that’s designed to make it easy for authors to write long-form, born-digital scholarship online. Scalar enables users to assemble media from multiple sources and juxtapose them with their own writing in a variety of ways, with minimal technical expertise required. (from About Scalar)
Learn to use Scalar
Resources for learning Scalar
- Scalar 2 User's Guide
- Scalar: An Introduction from University of Illinois Library
- The Digital Publishing Workshop: Scalar - note that the "Introduction to Scalar" video does not apply to you if you are working on your own Scalar site within SUNY Create or if you've requested a Scalar account via the Alliance for Networking Visual Culture contact form.
- Digital Publishing with Scalar by York University Libraries
Considerations when Using Scalar
- Scalar uses, for the most part, a book paradigm
- Can use text and multimedia. Media can either be uploaded to the site (2MB limit) or linked to on an external website
- If you choose to link to content, make sure you check regularly to make sure the links still work
- Use widgets to expand the capability of Scalar.