EndNote Basics for Information Science Students: Other Features
Other Commonly Used Features
EndNote has many capabilities, including:
- Journal Term Lists - download term lists so that you have the full and abbreviated title names
- Groups/Group Sets - organize your references
- Deduplication - deduplicate references
- Find Full Text - locate full text
Journal Term Lists
Depending on the style, you may need to use the journal's full title, or an abbreviated title. You can retrieve these terms by importing a journal term list.
There are term lists for the following areas: Anthropology, Archaeology, Astronomy and Astrophysics, BioScience, Chemical, Economics, Humanities, Korean Medical Terms, Law, Medical, Philosophy, Physics, Religion, and Zoological Records.
- Go to Tools, Open Term Lists, and then choose Journals Term List.
- If you do not see any existing terms in the list, you are ready for the next step. If you see terms in the list, select them and delete them.
- Next, go to Lists.
- Click Import List.
- Choose the appropriate subject area for your discipline.
You may want to confirm that the output style is pulling the correct name. Go to Edit, Output Styles, and then pick Open Style Manager. Select the style you plan on using and click Edit. Go to Journal Names. If you need to make a change, be sure to save a copy of the modified style.
Groups and Group Sets
The groups feature allows you to organize your references by project, paper, or topic.
- Create groups by going to Groups and then selecting Create Group.
- A folder will appear on the left. You can name it whatever you like.
- Select the references you want to add and drag them into the group you want to assign them to.
A reference can be assigned to more than one group. You can remove references from a group without deleting them from your library.
Group sets act as labels for groups. Create a group set by going to Groups and then selecting Create Group Set.
If you conduct the same search in more than one place, it is possible that you will have duplicates of some references. Go to References and then click Find Duplicates. You will see a side-by-side comparison of the duplicate references. Click Keep to maintain a copy of one of the references, The other will automatically be moved to the trash. You also have the option to Skip which means both references will be kept.
Find Full Text
EndNote does not automatically attach full text articles. It is also not designed to bring in full text articles from online databases, even if we have access to them. However, there is a way to try and get full text articles. You need to adjust your preferences once. Then every time you want to locate full text, you will need to follow a few steps.
Adjusting your preferences (1 time per machine)
- If you have a PC, go to Edit and then choose Preferences. If you have a Mac, go to EndNote and then choose Preferences.
- From the menu, click Find Full Text.
- Make sure all of the check boxes for the find full text search options are checked.
- Copy and paste this URL into both empty boxes: https://search-lib-buffalo-edu.gate.lib.buffalo.edu/discovery/search?vid=01SUNY_BUF:everything
- Apply the changes you made and hit ok.
Searching for full text (every time you want full text)
- Select the references that you would like to find full text for.
- There is an icon with a magnifying glass and an Adobe symbol inside of it. Click that, or go to References, hover over Find Full Text, and then click Find Full Text.
- You will be prompted to login with your UB credentials if you are off campus.
- Check on the left to see how successful EndNote has been.
- PDFs that have been found are automatically attached to your references. They will have a paperclip next to them and the PDF will be available as a part of the record in a tab (next to Reference and Preview).
Note: EndNote does not retrieve full text for every reference! That does not mean we do not have access. You can always attach a PDF later. Remember that requesting items from the UB Libraries is free for faculty, staff, and students. Use Delivery+!