Freedom of Information: United States
Sources of information related to freedom of informationLast Updated: Feb 22, 2023 12:49 PM
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) 5 U.S.C. 552, gives the public the right to request government records from Executive agencies. The Privacy Act allows individuals to view and correct personal records that the federal government maintains about their lives and activities.
- A Citizen's Guide on Using the Freedom of Information Act and the Privacy Act of 1974 to Request Government Records (U.S. Congress House. Committee on Oversight and Government Reform) . 2012 Provides an excellent overview of the FOIA and the Privacy Act with sample letters for requesting information,
National Freedom of Information Coalition. Federal Resources Data covers access to professionals, legal guides, first amendment information, government resources, organizations, and publications. Also has an automatic FOIA request letter generator.
- FOIA.gov (U.S. Department of Justice) Provides background information about FOIA, tutorials for using the law. Statistics measure the number of requests, exemption, appeals, processing times, fee waivers, and backlogs.
- FOIA Administrative and Legal Contacts at Federal Agencies A listing of FOIA administrative and legal contacts a federal agencies.
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Information Policy. FOIA Resources. “As part of its oversight and guidance responsibilities, OIP reviews inquires made by the public raising issues regarding agencies' compliance with the FOIA statute and the Attorney General's FOIA Guidelines.”
- Your Right To Federal Records: Questions and Answers on the Freedom of Information Act and Privacy Act (Published jointly by the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. General Services Administration and the U.S. Office of Management and Budget) July 2011 Explains the history of FOIA, the application process, and the appeals process in the event of a denial.
- FOIA MapperCompiles FOIA information into a centralized catalog of government records, searchable by topic.