Tests & Measurements: Home
On this Page
- Finding Reviews and Indices of Tests
- Finding Tests
- Lockwood Library Test Collection
Finding Reviews and Indices about Tests
Libraries generally do not buy commercially published tests due to use and copyright restrictions imposed by publishers. This makes locating copies of tests difficult. There are, however, two things you can do to reduce frustration.
- First, decide whether you need an actual copy of the test or whether a detailed description will do (i.e. reliability and validity data, sample items, a review). Information about a test is usually much easier to find than the test itself. For this information, you may want to search journal articles or dissertations.
- Second, decide whether you must have one particular test or if any relevant instrument will do. For this information, you may want to search a test database (such as APA PsycTESTS) or even Google.
The American Psychological Association provides a very comprehensive overview of finding information about tests: FAQS re Published Psychological Tests, Unpublished Psychological Tests and Measures, and Additional Information on the Proper Use of Tests.
Need to find information on a particular test? Try:
This website is a clearinghouse for HIV/AIDS researchers maintained by the Center for HIV Identification, Prevention, and Treatment Services at UCLA. Look under "Resources" to find online copies of assessment scales, surveys, and other instruments. Many of these are not specific to HIV/AIDS. They address aspects of personality and behavior that are applicable to the general population in areas such as anxiety, substance abuse, conduct problems, family dynamics, depression, and the like.
The Lockwood tests collection contains more than 2,000 "unpublished" tests and measures. It is made up of two components:
- a series called Tests in Microfiche
- a set of handbooks which contain full-length reproductions of assessment instruments
Although they are reproduced in books and on microfiche, these instruments are considered "unpublished" because they have not been published by a commercial test publisher. Since these instruments were not generally developed for profit or widespread distribution, they can be made available in libraries with minimum restriction on use. This makes them ideal for class assignments and short-term projects.
The Tests and Measures Collection is located in the rear of the Lockwood Library main Reference area.
NOTE: Published tests may be required for dissertations and other extensive research. These tests are not available in the library but may be purchased by qualified users directly from the publisher. Consult the Mental Measurements Yearbook Online (print version in Lockwood Library Reference LML Ref Z 5814 .P8 B932 ) for reviews, price, publisher addresses, reliability and validity data, and other information about published tests and measures.
by Amanda McCormick Last Updated Feb 22, 2021 393 views this year
by Amanda McCormick Last Updated Feb 12, 2021 945 views this year
Counseling and Psychotherapy in Video, Sound & Streaming
by Amanda McCormick Last Updated Jan 18, 2021 31 views this year
by Karlen Chase Last Updated Jan 6, 2021 231 views this year