United States Federal Government Information: Home
Federal Depository Library
Lockwood Library became a selective federal government depository in 1963. The U.S. Government Publishing Office (GPO) forwards to depository libraries copies of government publications without charge. Selective depositories receive only those items they choose to acquire. Depositories assume the responsibility of making the documents available to the entire community when receiving them gratis.
Although becoming a depository in 1963, Lockwood Library still holds a wide variety of Congressional materials and census publications from the eighteenth century, nineteenth, and twentieth centuries. Most federal government titles owned by UB are listed in the Libraries Catalog. U.S. federal documents may be located on the first floor of Lockwood Library or in the regular Lockwood stack areas.
The Buffalo and Erie County Public Library System Central Library (Lafayette Square) became a depository library in 1895 and holds many of the earlier materials unavailable at UB.