FR 301 - French Explorers: Home
- Jean de Lery[Untitled woodcut illustration depicting mythological beasts and figures in a landscape]
Search terms to try:
with: Food, agriculture
- Encyclopedia of Life“A webpage for every species." EOL brings together trusted information from resources across the world such as museums, learned societies, expert scientists, and others into one massive database and a single, easy-to-use online portal
- Gale eBooks (formerly Gale Virtual Reference Library) This link opens in a new windowFull-text entries from encyclopedias and reference works published by Gale Group More InfoFull-Text UB ONLY
- France in America / La France en AmériqueConceived in partnership with France’s national library, the Bibliothèque nationale de France, France in America /France en Amérique is a bilingual digital library made available by the Library of Congress. It explores the history of the French presence in North America from the first decades of the 16th century to the end of the 19th century.
- Encyclopedia of Food and CultureISBN: 0684805685Publication Date: 2002-12-17This new three-volume set presents 600 articles on food and its place in human culture and society, covering everything from agronomy to zucchini. Students, academics and general researchers will find entries on everything from food preparation, distribution and storage to holidays and festivals, nutrition and health, and cultures and cuisines. The "Encyclopedia's multidisciplinary articles--including "Comfort Food," "Ethnicity and Food," "Medieval Banquets" and "Nutrient Composition"--are supplemented by 450 photographs and illustrations, sidebars, recipes, menus, timelines and a comprehensive index.
- World Food byCall Number: Lockwood Reference TX349 .S66 2013ISBN: 9780765682789Publication Date: 2012-09-15This multicultural and interdisciplinary reference brings a fresh social and cultural perspective to the global history of food, foodstuffs, and cultural exchange from the age of discovery to contemporary times. Comprehensive in scope, this two-volume encyclopedia covers agriculture and industry, food preparation and regional cuisines, science and technology, nutrition and health, and trade and commerce, as well as key contemporary issues such as famine relief, farm subsidies, food safety, and the organic movement. Articles also include specific foodstuffs such as chocolate, potatoes, and tomatoes; topics such as Mediterranean diet and the Spice Route; and pivotal figures such as Marco Polo, Columbus, and Catherine de' Medici. Special features include: dozens of recipes representing different historic periods and cuisines of the world; listing of herbal foods and uses; and a chronology of key events/people in food history.
- Beinecke Digital CollectionsTry searching "Jean de Lery" or Thevet
- Les Singularitez de la France antarctiqueLes Singularitez de la France antarctique, autrement nommée Amérique : & de plusieurs terres & isles decouvertes de nostre temps. Par F. André Thevet, natif d'Angoulesme (1558)
- Science Photo LibrarySearching "Thevet" will bring up some images.
423 Lockwood Library