Campus Unrest: Using Archives
Access to collections is open to researchers with these exceptions:
- Collections stored off-site or at the Libraries Annex require three to five business day's notice to ensure retrieval. Contact the University Archives at firstname.lastname@example.org or (716) 645-2916 to schedule an appointment.
- Unprocessed collections may be opened for research with permission and prior review from the University Archivist.
- Records that contain sensitive personal information are restricted in order to protect individual privacy. Certain administrative records are restricted in accordance with University policy. Collections with restricted information are noted as such.
Material in archives is unique, rare and fragile. Take your time when handling materials.
- You may be asked to wear gloves or use supports when handling certain materials.
- Documents should remain flat on the table.
- Take out only one folder at a time from boxed collections. Maintain the original order of the folders as well as materials within the folder.
- Be sure to pay attention to documents as a whole; look at the front and back of items for identifying and descriptive information.
- Any questions? Ask! That's what we're here for.
New York University's short video on Handling Archival Materials.
What to bring
- Your laptop and phone; we have Wi-Fi and electrical outlets at every table.
- Current photo identification (e.g. driver's license, campus ID, passport).
What not to bring
- Food or drink.
- Pens, though you can use our pencils and paper to take notes.
- Scanners, tripods or video equipment.
Other things to know
- While appointments are not necessary, it is recommended that you contact the University Archives ahead of your visit to make the best use of your research time.
- Phones must be silenced.
- You may use a camera or phone to take pictures of material but no flash can be used.. Fees do apply and permission is required from the desk attendant.
- Staff will make copies of collection material if the item(s) can withstand the duplication process. Fees do apply. Entire collections and publications cannot be copied.
For more information about planning your visit to the University Archives and policies regarding usage of material, duplication, etc. please visit our Policies page.
- Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Hours may change occasionally. Please confirm hours with the University Archives before your visit.
- 420 Capen Hall, inside the Silverman Library on the North Campus of UB.
- Please contact the University Archives for driving and parking directions.
- Phone: (716) 645-2916
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Website: https://library.buffalo.edu/archives