Chemistry: Addt'l Resources
What Every Chemist Should Know about Patents (2019, ACS) - "Patents play an important role in the chemical enterprise, both as a means for protecting the fruits of research and development from unauthorized use by competitors and as a major component of the chemical literature." The American Chemical Society has created this excellent guide about patents and the law.
See also: UB LibGuide on Patents
General Portals and Directories
Chemie.de Information Service - Commercial portal & search engine
Chemical Information Sources (CHEMINFO) - Chemical information links
Electrochemistry Knowledge Base - by Dr. Zoltan Nagy; links to resources in Electrochemistry
Specific Portal and Directories
- Chromatography Book Series (R. P. W. Scott)
- Molecular Expressions - Optics & Microscopy (Florida State Univ.) - Fantastic collection of images
- Johnson Matthey Technology Review (formerly Platinum Metals Reviews until 2014) -This journal provides detailed properties and phase diagrams of platinum group metals and their alloys, metal catalysts, and related materials.
- The A to Z of Materials (Azom) - Searchable database by keyword, application, and property values
- Polymer Tradename Index (MatWeb)
See also Toxicology In-Depth Research Guide
- BindingDB (Univ. of Maryland) -30,000 measured affinities to proteins for over 15,000 small molecule ligands
- BioCyc Database - Pathway/Genome Databases
- Chemical & Engineering News Safety Letters (ACS) - Hazardous reactions reported to C&E News
- Chemical Entities of Biological Interest (ChEBI) [EMBL-EBI] - Compiles information on small molecules from many Internet resources including IntEnz, KEGG Compound, PDBeChem, and ChEMBL.
- Organic Chemistry Portal - includes NMR shift predictions (Reto Muller)
- Organic Syntheses Monograph Series - Wiley (requires free ChemDraw plug-in)
- Atomic Reference Data for Electronic Structure Calculations (NIST)
- Fundamental Physical Constants (NIST)
Compound & Reaction Databases
Chemical Structure Lookup Service (NCI CADD Group) - metasearch of over 27 million compounds in over 80 internet chemical databases
Chemical Thesaurus Reaction Chemistry Database (Meta-synthesis, Inc.) - Open access synthetic route information. Database can be downloaded.
NCI Open Database - 250,000+ compounds with 2-D & 3-D structures collected by the National Cancer Institute for anti-cancer testing.
Reciprocal Net (NSDL) - Database of 3-D molecular structures compiled by crystallographers
Naturejobs (Nature Magazine)
Science Careers (Science Magazine)
Woman-Related Sites in Science & Technology (Joan Korenman)
ACS Meeting Locator - Not limited to ACS sponsored meetings.
Conferences & Events (Chemistry) (Maintained by RSC)
Science Meetings and Events (Science Magazine)
ACS Chemistry Education Resources - from elementary school graduate education
The ChemCollective (Carnegie Mellon/NSDL) - Virtual labs and scenario-based learning
Practical Chemistry (Nuffield Foundation/RSC)
Principles of Chemical Science (MIT OpenCourseWare) - includes video lectures, lecture notes, and exams.
Science Education Games & Puzzles (Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility)
What's That Stuff (ACS) - Chemical composition of everyday items like Silly Putty and cheese whiz.
Books, Journals, Open Access
RoMEO - Over 400 publisher copyright and self-archiving policies (SHERPA)
Dictionaries, Periodic Tables, & Aids
ACS Style Guide (Quick Guide) (Williams College)
IUPAC Compendium of Chemical Terminology - free version of classic book.
Periodic Table of Comic Books (Holler & Selegue, Univ. of Kentucky)
Periodic Table of Elements (Theodore Gray)
Periodic Table of Videos (Martyn Poliakoff, Univ. of Nottingham)
Visual Elements (RSC) - Graphical interpretation of element.
Data & Property Calculation Web sites (Univ. of Illinois at Chicago)
Estimation Program Interface (EPI) Suite (U.S. EPA) - Physical/chemical property and environmental fate estimation model calculations
Macs in Chemistry (Cambridge MedChem Consulting)
OSRA: Optical Structure Recognition - converts graphical structures in electronic documents into SMILES notation.