Chemistry: Databases & Journals
On this Page
- Databases & Journals
- Publications from Professional Organizations
- ACS eBooks
- Links to JACS, Nature, and Chemical & Engineering News
- Other Chemistry Resources @ UB
Databases & Journals
The most frequently used chemistry databases are listed below. Use databases to find journals, peer-reviewed articles, substances, syntheses, properties, conference proceedings, patents, technical reports and other publications.
To learn more about scientific literature: A Very Brief Introduction to the Scientific Literature and Types of Scientific Literature.
If you are unsure of where to start, contact your librarian (Amanda McCormick).
Image created by Department of Chemistry Professor Tim Cook.
- AccessScience This link opens in a new windowAccessScience provides access to written reference material that covers all major scientific disciplines.More InfoFull-Text UB ONLY
- SciFinder-n This link opens in a new windowCore scientific database encompassing the literature, substances and reactions of chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering and related fields. More InfoPartial Full-Text UB ONLY
- Web of Science This link opens in a new windowOne-pass searching of Web of Science citation indexes, BIOSIS Citation Index, Derwent Innovations Index, MEDLINE and more. More InfoPartial Full-Text UB ONLY
- ScienceDirect - (Elsevier) This link opens in a new windowPartial Full-Text of all Elsevier published journals. More InfoPartial Full-Text UB ONLY
- Wiley Online Library This link opens in a new windowMulti-disciplinary database that includes full-text journal articles and some full-text reference sources. More InfoFull-Text UB ONLY
- Springer Journals Online This link opens in a new windowFull-text of selected journals published by Springer. More InfoPartial Full-Text UB ONLY
- JoVE Unlimited This link opens in a new windowA peer reviewed video journal and science education platform. More InfoStreaming Media UB ONLY
Publications from Professional Organizations
ACS Journals This link opens in a new windowFull-text of all scientific journals published by the American Chemical Society from 1879 to the present. More InfoFull-Text UB ONLY
RSC Journals This link opens in a new windowFull-text of all journals published by the Royal Society of Chemistry. More InfoPartial Full-Text UB ONLY
Use CASSI to "identify or confirm journal titles and abbreviations for publications indexed by CAS since 1907, including serial and non-serial scientific and technical publications."
CAS Source Index (CASSI) This link opens in a new windowGuide to sci/tech journals and conference proceedings worldwide including detailed title histories. More InfoPUBLIC
ChemRxiv: This is a "a free submission, distribution and archive service for unpublished preprints in chemistry and related areas." It is co-owned/managed by the American Chemical Society, the Royal Society of Chemistry, the Chinese Chemical Society, the Chemical Society of Japan, and the German Chemical Society.
- You may want to register for an account, as that will permit you to save searches.
- The search functionality is limited at this time so this resource might be better used to follow authors or institutions working in your field.
REMEMBER: Preprints have NOT undergone peer review to ensure scientific integrity. When an assignment calls for peer-reviewed literature, do NOT use preprints to support your argument (unless your professor makes clear that preprints are acceptable).
- ACS eBooks: In Focus This link opens in a new windoweBooks focusing on emerging topics and techniques from the sciences.More InfoFull-Text UB ONLY
- ACS eBooks: Symposium Series This link opens in a new windowPeer-reviewed eBooks developed by ACS technical divisions. More InfoFull-Text UB ONLY
- ACS eBooks: Advances in Chemistry This link opens in a new windowPeer-reviewed eBooks and predecessor to ACS Symposium Series. More InfoFull-Text UB ONLY
Science & Chemistry News
JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY
Read the current issue of JACS
CHEMICAL & ENGINEERING NEWS
Chemistry Resources @ UB
Chemistry: Advanced Research Skills
by Amanda McCormick Last Updated Mar 21, 2023 77 views this year
Spectra & Spectral Data
by Amanda McCormick Last Updated Mar 21, 2023 177 views this year
Chemistry: A Guide to the Beilstein and Gmelin Handbooks
by Amanda McCormick Last Updated Mar 29, 2023 819 views this year
Liaison to CAS Biology, Chemistry, Physics & Psychology
Liaison to School of Social Work
Schedule an appointment with me: https://tinyurl.com/25vdy7t2; also email/call