CL305: Heroes: Home
Above: Angel of the North (1998), a steel sculpture in Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, England.
Image source: Flickr. Image author: Tom Parnell. Image license: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic.
Databases in Classical Studies
- L'Annee Philologique This link opens in a new windowContains citations of all known scholarly work on classical antiquity published in any language, anywhere in the world. Its subjects are Greek and Latin literature and linguistics, including early Christian texts and patristics, Greek and Roman history, philosophy, art, archaeology, religion, mythology, music, science and scholarly sub-specialties such as numismatics, papyrology and epigraphy. Its coverage begins in the second millennium B. C. E. with pre-classical archaeology, and ends with the period of transition from late antiquity to the middle ages (roughly 500-800 C.E.), extending from the physical centers of ancient Greece and Rome to Northern and Eastern Europe, Asia Minor, the Middle East, and North Africa.UB ONLY
- Digital Loeb Classical Library This link opens in a new windowAn interconnected, fully searchable, perpetually growing, virtual library of all that is important in Greek and Latin literature. Epic and lyric poetry; tragedy and comedy; history, travel, philosophy, and oratory; the great medical writers and mathematicians; those Church Fathers who made particular use of pagan culture – in short, our entire Greek and Latin Classical heritage is represented here with up-to-date texts and accurate English translations. More than 520 volumes of Latin, Greek, and English texts are available in a modern and elegant interface, allowing readers to browse, search, bookmark, annotate, and share content with ease.Full-TextUB ONLY
Best Bets: Scholarly Databases for Journal Articles
- MLA International Bibliography This link opens in a new windowThe MLA International Bibliography, compiled by the Modern Language Association, contains citations to books, journal articles and dissertations published on literature, modern languages, linguistics, and folklore. In addition to English and American literature, it also covers European, Asian, African, and Latin American literatures. The database has over 1.3 million citations from more than 4,000 journals and series published worldwide. Much of the content is immediately available in full-text.Partial Full-TextUB ONLY
- JSTOR This link opens in a new windowJSTOR presents the full text of the complete back files of important scholarly journals, generally from the first volume through issues published prior to the most recent three years. Current issues are generally not available. JSTOR is a consortium of approximately 1,800 participating academic institutions, including the University at Buffalo. It is continually expanding and presently covers a multitude of disciplines.Full-TextUB ONLY
- Project Muse This link opens in a new windowProject MUSE provides full-text online editions of over 600 scholarly journals in the arts, humanities, and social sciences published by The Johns Hopkins University Press and other scholarly publishers. Searchers can conduct queries across all included journals, or choose selected or individual journals. Leads to full-text articles in the project journals, largely in the disciplines of Cultural Studies, History, Literature, Philosophy, Political Science, Religion and Theater.Full-TextUB ONLY
- Humanities Source This link opens in a new windowHumanities Source provides full text of hundreds of journals, books and other published sources from around the world. Produced by Whitston Publishing (an imprint of EBSCO Publishing), this database includes all data from Humanities International Index (more than 2,200 journals and 2.71 million records) plus unique full-text content, much of which is not found in other databases. Major subject areas include literature, philosophy, the arts, history, culture and multi-disciplinary humanities titles, with a special emphasis on literature and the literary arts. The database also includes original creative works including poems, fiction, photographs, paintings and illustrations.Full-TextUB ONLY
- Academic Search Complete This link opens in a new windowThe world's most valuable and comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 6,100 full-text periodicals, including more than 5,100 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 10,100 journals and a total of more than 10,600 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1887, with the majority of full text titles in native (searchable) PDF format. Searchable cited references are provided for more than 1,000 journals.Full-TextUB ONLY
Deep Cuts: Databases in the Literary Disciplines
- ABELL This link opens in a new windowABELL contains over 750,000 records covering monographs, periodical articles, critical editions of literary works, book reviews, collections of essays and doctoral dissertations published anywhere in the world from 1920 onwards. ABELL also includes links to the full text of over 60 journals from 1998 to the present.Partial Full-TextUB ONLY
- Dictionary of Literary Biography (DLB) This link opens in a new windowProvides full-text access to over 9,000 critical and biographical essays on British and American authors from all eras and genres. Personal information: birth/death dates, nationality/ethnicity, principal genres, awards, family history, and some entries include an author portrait. Principal Works: a list of the author's most important writings. Further Readings about the Author: a list of additional writings, published interviews, biographies, and a bibliography of writings about the author.Full-TextUB ONLY