Resource guide for information about Covid-19 (Novel Coronavirus or 2019-nCoV)Last Updated: Mar 21, 2023 11:23 AM
This guide presents information resources on the topic of Covid-19 (Novel Coronavirus) and is intended for research purposes only. For personal health questions and/or official University at Buffalo updates related to the Covid-19 (Novel Coronavirus), please visit the Covid-19: UB Planning and Response Dashboard.
This guide will be updated as more information becomes available.
Search strategies for locating research articles
- LitCovidLitCovid is a curated literature hub for tracking up-to-date scientific information about the 2019 novel Coronavirus. It is the most comprehensive resource on the subject, providing a central access to 1120 (and growing) research articles in PubMed. The articles are updated daily and are further categorized by different research topics and geographic locations for improved access.
- PubMed suggested search strategy on 2019 Coronavirus(New PubMed) Suggested PubMed search strategy to retrieve citations, including ahead-of-print citations, on the 2019 novel coronavirus (Source: National Library of Medicine) - Updated March 2020
- MEDLINE (via Ovid) - search strategySuggested MEDLINE search strategy to retrieve citations on the 2019 novel coronavirus (Source: Ovid MEDLINE)
(exp coronavirus/ or coronavirus*.mp.) and (wuhan or beijing or shanghai or 2019-nCoV or nCovor or COVID-19 or SARS-CoV-2).mp.
coronavirus*.ti. or (novel coronavirus*.mp. and (exp china/ or china.mp.)) or ((pneumonia.mp. or exp pneumonia/) and Wuhan.mp.)
('COVID-19' or '2019-nCov' or 'SARS-CoV-2').mp. or exp Coronavirus Infections/
- EMBASE - search strategy (see description)In advanced search:
'2019-ncov' OR (wuhan:ab,ti AND coronavirus:ab,ti)
- Google Scholar Search String2019nCoV|"2019 nCoV|CoV|coronavirus"|"2019 novel|new coronavirus|cov"|"wuhan coronavirus|cov|ncov|outbreak"|"wuhan*coronavirus|cov|ncov|outbreak"|"wuhan**coronavirus|cov|ncov|outbreak"|"coronavirus|cov|ncov*wuhan"
Publisher resources and technical information
- TRACIE Healthcare Emergency Preparedness Information Gateway - Covid-19Technical Resources, Assistance Center, and Information Exchange (TRACIE) - resources identified or developed to address current response and recovery operations to novel coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19). Links out to many healthcare planning resources.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): evidence relevant to critical care -- Cochrane"This Special Collection has been created in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, and is regularly updated. It aims to ensure immediate access to systematic reviews most directly relevant to the management of people hospitalized with severe acute respiratory infections. It includes reviews that are relevant to the WHO interim guidance, those identified as relevant by Cochrane Acute and Emergency Care, and also draws on the knowledge of Cochrane groups in affected regions."
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): infection control and prevention measures -- Cochrane"This Special Collection has been created in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and is regularly updated. It aims to ensure immediate access to systematic reviews most directly relevant to the prevention of infection. It includes reviews that are relevant to the WHO interim guidance, as well as other potentially relevant reviews from three Cochrane Networks: Cochrane Public Health and Health Systems; Cochrane Musculoskeletal, Oral, Skin and Sensory; and Cochrane Acute and Emergency Care, and also draws on the knowledge of Cochrane groups in affected regions. Many reviews in this collection have associated Cochrane Clinical Answers (CCAs), with links provided.
The different natures of pathogens and their modes of transmission compared with what is currently known about COVID-19 may limit the applicability of the evidence summarized in these reviews. Please note that the reviews included in this Special Collection summarize evidence, and their inclusion does not mean that the interventions reviewed have been shown to be an effective prevention measure."
- Novel Coronavirus Information Center - ElsevierMedical research from Elsevier on the Coronavirus (free)
- The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) -- JAMAMedical research from JAMA specific to the Coronavirus (free)
- 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) - New England Journal of Medicine"A collection of articles and other resources on the 2019 Novel Coronavirus outbreak, including clinical reports, management guidelines, and commentary."
- Covid-19 Resources & Tools site - Ovid• Gideon, the Global Infectious Disease Database: free access has been extended until end of March 2020
• Updated Ovid expert searches: search hedges for Ovid MEDLINE and Journals@Ovid are being updated with new names for the pathogen and the disease as they become available
• New: The complete list of 500+ articles published in 2020 on the Corona Virus outbreak for Journals@Ovid and Ovid MEDLINE. Each reference includes links to the full text, that in almost all cases is made free of charge by the publishers. The list will be updated daily!
• New: Link to the 5MinuteConsult page for 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
• New COVID-19 clinical update from Audio Digest: Informative discussion with Michael Cohen, MD, MS, Infectious Disease Specialist
• New: Lippincott NursingCenter has curated information for nurses dealing with COVID-19.
- Coronavirus - Springer NatureMedical research from Spring Nature on Coronavirus (free)
- Resources on the Coronavirus -- Up to DateFree access to UpToDate plus two Ovid Expert Searches focused on Wuhan coronavirus. (free)
- Novel Coronavirus - WileyContent related to the Novel Coronavirus that Wiley Online Library has made freely available.
- Technical Standards: Freely Available Standards Related to COVID-19Freely accessible standards related to COVID-19, "for those UB affiliated faculty, staff, and students who need to access standards for personal protective equipment (PPE), including masks and gowns, as well as medical equipment."
- CDC: Coronavirus (COVID-19)The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) site on Coronavirus. Includes general information for individuals and providers, disease surveillance information, FAQs, and more.
- WHO: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemicThe World Health Organization site on the virus. Includes general information, disease surveillance and technical information, and advice for travelers
- Coronavirus Map by Johns Hopkins CSSEInteractive map from Johns Hopkins Center for Systems Science with both mapping for cases and for recovery.
- Erie County Covid-19 MapErie County COVID-19 Case Mapping Tool
- Coronavirus LecturesVideo lectures from Henry Stewart Talks. Developing content. All should be related to the Novel Coronavirus
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Government InformationRelated legislative, presidential, and regulatory documents specific to the Covid-19 situation.
- Covid-19 Best Evidence Front Door"Searchable database of evidence (syntheses, meta-analyses, guidelines) from multiple trusted public sources, providing direct access to this evidence at the document level"
- The COVID Tracking Project"The COVID Tracking Project collects information from 50 US states, the District of Columbia, and 5 other US territories to provide the most comprehensive testing data we can collect for the novel coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2. We attempt to include positive and negative results, pending tests, and total people tested for each state or district currently reporting that data."
Local & Regional Information
- Covid-19: UB Planning and Response DashboardUniversity at Buffalo's page on Covid-19
- Coronavirus - Erie CountyFAQ on the coronavirus from the Erie County Department of Health
- NYSDoH: Novel (New) CoronavirusGeneral information page from the New York State Department of Health. Also has links to information for health care providers.
109 Abbott Hall, South Campus
109 Abbott Hall, South Campus