Last Updated: Oct 11, 2018 12:04 PM
The Engineering Village platform has five engineering databases loaded on it, namely Compendex, GeoRef, INSPEC, NTIS, and Knovel, allowing you to search on the broadest possible range of topics in engineering and technology from a variety of information sources, including journal articles, conference proceedings, unclassified government reports, and book chapters.
- Compendex covers journal articles, conference papers, and non-governmental reports in all areas of engineering.
- INSPEC covers about the same number of publications but is more specialized for, and therefore provides deeper coverage in, electrical engineering, applied physics, and computer and control technologies.
- NTIS provides information about technical reports written by academic and private-sector researchers working under federal R+D contracts.
- GeoRef covers geology, geography, earth sciences, environmental sciences, geotechnical engineering, water science, and topics in energy.
- Knovel is different from the above four databases in that it is a book database while the others are primarily journal article and technical report databases; Knovel provides access to the full text of over a thousand books in all areas of engineering. You can search it along with the other four databases or alone by clicking into the check boxes on the initial search screen.
Coverage varies by database: Compendex is 1884-present, INSPEC is 1969-present, NTIS is 1899-present, and GeoRef is 1785-present. The databases are updated weekly. Knovel is an e-book database and as such the dates vary but tend to be fairly recent, mostly from the 1990s to the present.