Environmental Design: Overview
Key Library Links
- Libraries' Catalog – to locate any item that is available in our libraries, including books, journals, newspapers, and audio/visual materials.
- Everything – the tab is a great place to start searching through the library’s resources in one simple multidisciplinary search interface. The results will display books, articles, government documents, etc.
- Journals- is a database of electronic journals that are indexed in databases or found online. (Cannot search for articles, citation is needed)
- Reserve– or Course Reserve: a collection of books or articles (pdfs) set aside at the Circulation Desk by your instructor.
- Top Planning Databases - Planning research databases
- Research Tips – an online guide designed to help you perform research at the University at Buffalo’s University Libraries, includes citation help. Center for Excellence in Writing - 209 Baldy Hall
- My Account & Delivery+ – use for book renewal and interlibrary loan. Journal articles and book chapters are delivered electronically to your email and physical items are made available for pick-up at the UB library of your choice. (free of charge)
Borrowing/Loan Periods: Your UB Card serves as your library card. Current UB students, faculty and staff may use their cards to check out books and other materials at any campus library.
Self-check out kiosk/Check-out App - instructions for downloading the app and using the self-check out kiosk.
UB Print Anywhere: UB students receive a semesterly quota of free pages to print assignments at any of 40 print station kiosks. Learn how to easily print your assignments from any computer, a computing site, your smartphone, a USB drive and more.
Background Searching/Starting Points
Gale Virtual Reference Library - includes subject encyclopedias, almanacs, and specialized reference works in broad subject areas, including issues related to planning.
Oxford Handbooks Online - a collection of Oxford Handbooks in four subject modules - Business and Management; Philosophy; Political Science; and Religion. Each handbook takes an aspect of its discipline and unpacks it, explaining the key issues, the classic and contemporary debates on those issues, and setting the agenda for how those debates might evolve.;
Best Basic Resources Guide (created by UB Libraries)
- Google Books This link opens in a new windowWell over 15,000,000 books and magazine issues may be searched in Google Books. The numbers grow daily as Google moves forward with its mission of scanning literally all the world's books and magazines. Even materials that are not readable full text are nonetheless searchable. Some texts (pre-1923) may be read in their entirety; while others may be read across a limited number of pages (20% of the book) in 'preview' mode and some are only viewable in snippet view.
- Google Scholar This link opens in a new windowClick on "Settings" in the upper right-hand corner.
o Click on "Library Links" on the left-hand side
o On the next screen, type University at Buffalo into the "Library Links" box.
o Scroll down and click on "Save"
o Start searching.
o When you link to a full-text article from off campus you will be presented with a log-in screen. Log in with your UBIT name and password.
303 Abbott Hall
Buffalo, NY 14214