Legal Research & Writing: Legal Research
SELF-TEACHING ASSESSMENT GUIDES
Johnson & Phillips, Legal Research Exercises Following The Bluebook, 11th ed. KF 240 C53815 2011 (Ref)
Herskowitz, Legal Research Made Easy, 4th ed. KF 240 H47 2005
McCully, Robinson, The Legal Research Workbook KF 240 M33 1996
Murray & DeSanctis, Legal research and writing across the curriculum : problems and exercises | KF240 .M872 2009 (Ref)
Noyes & Lindfors, Legal research scavenger hunt workbook : North Central Region (includes general and federal resources) KF240 .N6968 2010 (Ref)
Sloan & Schwinn, Basic legal research workbook Rev. 3rd ed. KF240 .S662 2010 (Study Aids)
- Barkan, Bintliff, Whisner, Legal Research Illustrated, 10th ed. KF240 .P652 2015 (Ref Desk)
- Cohen, Olson, Legal Research in a Nutshell, 12th ed. KF 240 C54 2016 (Ref, Course Reserve)
- Manz, Gibson’s New York Legal Research Guide, 4th ed. KFN5074 .G53 2014 (Ref Desk, Ref, NY Alcove)
- Olson, Principles of Legal Research, 2nd ed. KF 240 O57 2015 (Ref, Study Aids)
- Rombauer, Legal Problem Solving,: Analysis, Research and Writing, 5th ed. KF 240 R64 1991
"The first step in locating legal
information is to determine
how and where to begin."
Kent C. Olson, Legal Information : How to Find It, How to Use It 31 (1999).
This guide is meant to provide resources you may find helpful when learning how to research efficiently. The Law Librarians are a great resource as well, so feel free to stop by the Reference desk for help!
- Armstrong, Knott Where the Law is: An Introduction to Advanced Legal Research, 5th ed. KF240 .A76 2018
- Bae, Searching the Law, 3rd ed. KF 240 S43 2005 (Ref Desk)
- Berring, Edinger, Finding the Law, 12th ed. KF 240 B45 2005 (Law Library General Collection)
- Berring, Edinger Legal Research Survival Manual KF 240 B47 2002 (Law Library General Collection & Study Aids)
- Bouchoux, Deborah E., Concise Guide to Legal research and Writing KF 240 B678 2011 (Ref)
- Bouchoux, Deborah E. Legal Research Explained 4th ed. KF 240 B683 2017 (Ref)
- Elias, Levinkind, Legal Research: How to Find & Understand the Law, 17th ed. KF 240 E35 2015 (Law Library Reserve)
- Fishman & Rao, Navigating Legal Research & Technology KF 240 F595 2010 (Ref)
- Fox, The Legal Research Dictionary KF 240 F69 2006 (Ref)
- Gallacher, Legal communication and research : lawyering skills for the twenty-first century KF240 .G35 2015 (Law Library General Collection,Reference & Study Aids) Chapters on writing, analysis, and research
- Honigsberg, Cluing into Legal Research: A Simple Guide to Finding the Law KF 240 H56 1979 (Law Library General Collection)
- Succinct introduction and overview of legal system and authority
- Kelso, Studying Law: An Introduction to Legal Research, 3rd ed. KF 240 K45 1999 (Law Library General Collection)
- Kunz, The Process of Legal Research, 8th ed. KF 240 P76 2012 (Law Library General Collection & Reference )
- Excellent! Unique Ch. 16 and 17 on practice and procedure.
- Levitt, Rosch, Mining the Internet's public records for investigative research KF242 .A1 B52 2011 (Law Library General Collection, Koren AV)
- Murray, DeSanctis, Legal Research and Writing KF 240 M87 2006 (Law Library General Collection)
- Murray, DeSanctis, Legal Research Methods KF 240 M874 2009 (Law Library Reference)
- Murray, DeSanctis, Legal Writing and Analysis KF250 M8652009 (Reference)
- Oates, Enquist, Just Research, 2nd ed. KF 240 O18 2009 (Reference, Koren AV)
- Olson, Legal Information: How to Find It, How to Use It KF 240 O365 1999 (Ref)
- Osbeck, Impeccable Research: A Concise Guide to Mastering Legal Research Skills KF 240 O73 2010 (Ref)
- Teply, Legal Research and Citation, 5th ed. KF 240 T46 1999 (Law Library General Collection)
- Wren, Wren, The Legal Research Manual, 2nd ed. KF 240 W7 1988 (Law Library General Collection)
- Zich, McCann, The Lawyer's Research Companion : A Concise Guide to Sources KF 240 L37 1998 (Law Library General Collection)
NY LEGAL RESEARCH
Adelman, New York Legal Research 4th ed. KFN5074 .A34 2020 (Law Library General Collection, Reference, Ref Desk, Reserve, & NY Alcove) New York Legal Research 4th ed. is also available online in the LexisNexis Digital Library.
Manz, Gibson’s New York Legal Research Guide, 4thed. KFN 5074 G53 2014 (Law Library General Collection, Reference, Ref Desk, Reserve, & NY Alcove)
SUBJECT SPECIALIZED TEXTS
Hazelton, Beard, Specialized Legal Research (looseleaf) F240 .S69 2014 (Ref Desk)
Arranged by subject
Corbin, Find the Law in the Library, 1989 KF 240 C63 1989 (Ref)
Arranged by subject: Marriage, Business, Tort, etc.
Gardner, Stewart, Worsham, Tax Research Techniques, 8th ed. KF 241 T38 S55 2008 (Ref)
Garvin, Real World Research Skills ZA 5110 G37 2006 (Ref)
A resource for finding federal government information.
Goehlert, Martin, Congress and Law-Making: Researching the Legislative Process, 2nd ed. KF 240 G63 1989 (Ref)
Karlin, Tax Research, 4th ed. KF 241 T38 K37 2009 (Ref)
Rehberg, Popa, Accidental Tourist on the New Frontier: A Introductory Guide to Global Legal Research K 85 A27 1998 (Also Ref)
Richmond, Federal Tax Research, 8th ed. KF 241 T38 R5 2010 (Also Ref, Ref Desk)