Newspaper Research: Buffalo & WNY News
The Buffalo News
The Buffalo News is the daily newspaper of the Buffalo-Niagara Falls metropolitan area and has been published daily since October 11, 1880.
The following is an overview of UB's current access to both current and historical content from The Buffalo News.
- The Buffalo News Collection (Newsbank) offers:
- full-text coverage of the print edition from 1989 to the present day;
- page-image coverage of the print edition from 2018 to the present day;
- full-text coverage of the web edition from 2017 to the present day.
- BuffaloNews.com allows non-subscribers to view up to 10 articles for free per month.
- The Buffalo History Museum, Research Library offers free, onsite, full-text access to The Buffalo (Evening) News, 1881-2022, via Newspapers.com.
- The Buffalo Evening News: 1880-1925; 1926 (partial); 1951 (partial); 1954-1982. Includes all regional editions. Call Number: AN256 .B84
- The Buffalo News: 1982 - current. Includes Buffalo Sunday News. Call Number: AN256 .B84
- In other local libraries:
- University Libraries no longer subscribes to the print edition of The Buffalo News.
- The Buffalo & Erie County Public Library has print copies of The Buffalo News from January 1, 2018 to current.
- The Western New York Index was created by the Buffalo & Erie County Library System and printed from 1983-1996. It indexed news, features, articles and reviews appearing in the city edition of the Buffalo News, Buffalo Spree, Business First, Western New York Magazine, and the WNY Genealogical Society Journal.
The Buffalo Courier-Express
The Buffalo Courier-Express was a daily newspaper created in 1926 by a merger of the Buffalo Daily Courier and the Buffalo Morning Express. The combined newspapers claimed a heritage dating back to 1828. It ceased publication in 1982.
- The Buffalo Daily Courier & Economist: 1843-1845; Call Number: MicFilm AN256 .B832.
- The Buffalo Courier: 1845-1846 (partial); Call Number: MicFilm AN256 .B832.
- The Buffalo Daily Courier: 1846 (partial); 1847-1861; Call Number: MicFilm AN256 .B832.
- The Daily Courier & Pilot: 1846 (partial); Call Number: MicFilm AN256 .B832.
- The Daily Mercantile Courier & Democratic Economist: 1842-1843 (partial); Call Number: MicFilm AN256 .B832.
- The Morning Express: 1846-1849 (partial); Call Number: MicFilm AN256 .B834.
- The Buffalo Morning Express: 1849-1855, 1859-1866; Call Number: MicFilm AN256 .B834.
- The Buffalo Morning Express & Daily Democracy: 1855-1858; Call Number: MicFilm AN256 .B834.
- The Buffalo Courier-Express: 1979-82; Call Number: MicFilm AN256 .C6.
- In other local libraries:
Individual WNY Newspapers
With a focus on news and art, both national and local, ArtVoice began in 1990 as an alternative weekly in Buffalo, NY and has been publishing online since 1996.
Business First of Buffalo is Western New York's primary business newspaper. Published weekly, it provides local coverage of business, finance, and economic topics.
- Online: access through Business First Online or Factiva.
- Print: current issues are available in the Current Periodicals area on the 3rd floor of Lockwood.
- Microform: 1984-1996, Call Number: MicFiche HF 5001 .B9 B84.
- Index: 1984-1996, see the Western New York Index. Call Number: Lockwood Reference AN 256.B84 W4.
Buffalo Spree is Western New York's only true city and regional magazine and has been published quarterly since 1967.
- Online: 1999-current; see the Past Issues page on BuffaloSpree.com.
- Print: University Libraries no longer receives Buffalo Spree in print.
- Index: 1987-1996, see the Western New York Index. Call Number: Lockwood Reference AN 256 .B84 W4.
The Island Dispatch was founded in 1944 and is the official newspaper of the town of Grand Island.
- Microfilm: Niagara Falls Public Library, 1854-current; located on Main Floor in Reference Department.
- Index: Subject index available, 1854-current; located in Local History Department on 3rd floor.
WNY Newspapers Online via Access World News (Newsbank)
- Amherst Bee, 2005 - current
- Cheektowaga Bee, 2010 - current
- Clarence Bee, 2010 - current
- East Aurora Bee, 2010 - current
- Island Dispatch (Grand Island), 2010 - current
- Lackawanna Front Page-South Buffalo News, 2014 only
- Lancaster-Depew Bee, 2010 - current
- Lewiston-Porter Sentinel (Lewiston), 2010 - current
- Niagara Falls Reporter, 2011 - current
- Niagara Gazette, 2008 - current
- Niagara-Wheatfield Tribune (Niagara Falls), 2010 - current
- Orchard Park Bee, 2010 - current
- Tonawanda News, 2008 - 2015
- Union-Sun & Journal (Lockport), 2007 - current
- West Seneca Bee, 2010 - current
College & University Newspapers
More WNY News in Local Libraries
- Buffalo History Museum, Research Library: Newspapers on Microfilm
- Buffalo & Erie County Public Library