Education Law: Getting Started: Books, Articles & More
Education Law is the term used to describe the application of the law in the school or educational setting. This branch of law includes federal and state statutes, regulations, and case law. Education in the United States is generally decentralized, with state and local governments largely responsible for educational standards (for a recent exception, see the federal No Child Left Behind Act).
Education Law encompasses a wide variety of legal issues, including civil rights, disability, discrimination, separation of church and state, employment law, criminal procedure, freedom of speech and expression, and civil liability. Education Law topics of recent interest include charter schools, homeschooling, drug testing, and bullying.
New at the Law Library
Search UB's Online Catalog for books, e-books and other materials.
- Online Catalog (UB Libraries) with filters
- Classic Catalog (UB Libraries)
Try these and other subject searchs in the Online Catalog:
Treatises, Hornbooks & Nutshells
The Complete IEP Guide: How to Advocate for Your Special Ed Child - Siegel, Lawrence M. Call Number: Reference KF4209.3.Z9 S57 2009. Publication Year: 2009
A Guide to Special Education Advocacy: What Parents, Clinicians, and Advocates Need to Know - Cohen, Matthew . Call Number: Online in Ebrary. Publication Year: 2009
School Law - New York State School Boards Association. Call Number: KFN5648 .A73 H3 (+ CD ROM IN KOREN). Publication Year: 1994 - 2010.
Education Law Journals
Brigham Young University Education and Law Journal (also available on HeinOnline and in print at the Law Library)
ELA Notes/Education Law Association (available in print at the Law Library)
Yearbook of Education Law (Education Law Association) "...analyses of the previous year's federal and state court decisions that affect private and public elementary and secondary schools and higher education" (available via UB subscription database Education Research Complete on EBSCOhost)
See more education law journals available online at UB here.
Search these legal periodical indexes to identify relevant articles. Be creative with your search terms. Try very general as well as specific searches.
Online Legal Periodical Indexes:
· Index to Legal Periodicals and Books (journals 1981-present; books 2000 to present)
· Index to Legal Periodicals and Books Retrospective (1918-1981)
Online Indexes with Quickest CURRENT coverage:
· Current Law Journal Content: an index to legal periodicals (2000 - April 2011)(Washington & Lee)
· Current Index to Legal Periodicals (CILP) on Westlaw* only (most recent 8 weeks)
· SSRN (Social Science Research Network)(2000s-present) Working papers, accepted papers
Indexes in paper format:
· Index to Legal Periodical Literature K 9 N319 (ref)(1888-1939)
· Index to Legal Periodicals K9 N32 (Ref) (1926-1994)
· Index to Legal Periodicals & Books K9 N32 (Ref) (1994-present)
· Annual Legal Bibliography K 38 H365 (Ref) (1960-1981)
· Subject Compilations of State Laws KF 240 S795 (Ref) (1960 - present) Identify law review articles and books that cite to state statutes on specific topics. Also on HeinOnline.
Search Multiple Periodical Indexes at once
· (over 100 UB subscription databases searched at once from ONE SEARCH BOX) EverythingSearch
You can also find relevant articles and other scholarly information by searching other online databases (subject listing) available at UB.
Recent Law review Articles
Terry Jean Seligmann, Sliding Doors: The Rowley Decision, Interpretation of Special Education Law, and What Might Have Been, 41 J.L. & Educ. 271 (2012).
Nancy Vinsel, Drinking and Driving School Buses: Zero Alcohol Tolerance for Public School Bus Drivers, 41 J.L. & Educ. 271 (2012).
Matthew Beatus, Layshock Ex Rel. Layschock v. Hermitage School District, 56 N.Y.L. Sch. L. Rev. 785 (2011/2012).
Scott Farbish, Sending the Principal to the Warden’s office: Holding School Officials Criminally Liable for Failing to Report Cyberbullying, 18 Cardozo J.L. & Gender 109.
Maren Hulden, Charting a Course to State Action: Charter Schools and §1983, 111 Colum. L. Rev. 1244 (2011).
Lesley Lueke, High School Athletes and Concussions, 32 J. Legal Med. 483 (2011).
Mary Kenyon Sullivan, Long-Term Suspensions and the Right to an Education: An Alternative Approach, 90 N.C.L. Rev. 293 (2011).