Education Law: Getting Started: Books, Articles & More
Education Law is the term used to describe the application of the law in the school or educational setting. This branch of law includes federal and state statutes, regulations, and case law. Education in the United States is generally decentralized, with state and local governments largely responsible for educational standards (for a recent exception, see the federal No Child Left Behind Act).
Education Law encompasses a wide variety of legal issues, including civil rights, disability, discrimination, separation of church and state, employment law, criminal procedure, freedom of speech and expression, and civil liability. Education Law topics of recent interest include charter schools, homeschooling, drug testing, and bullying.
New at the Law Library
- The Detroit School Busing Case: Milliken v. Bradley and the Controversy Over Desegregation byCall Number: KF228 .M55 B38 2011ISBN: 0700617663Publication Date: 2011
Search UB's Libraries' Catalog for books, e-books and other materials.
- Libraries' Catalog (UB Libraries) with filters
Try these and other subject searches in the Online Catalog:
Children with disabilities - Education - Law and Legislation - United States
Educational Law and Legislation - United States
Educational Law and Legislation - United States - Cases
Special Education - Law and Legislation - United States
Students - Legal status, laws, etc. United States
Teachers - legal status, laws, etc.
Universities and Colleges - Law and Legislation - United States
- Encyclopedia of Education Law byCall Number: Online / Electronic Book: in Gale Virtual Reference LibraryPublication Date: 2008
- Deskbook Encyclopedia of American School LawCall Number: KF4114 .D46Publication Date: 1989 - 2008
Treatises, Hornbooks & Nutshells
- Higher Education Law Policy and Perspectives byCall Number: Online in Ebook LibraryPublication Date: 2010
- Public School Law: Teachers' and Students' Rights byCall Number: KF4119.M38 2004Publication Date: 2004
- From Schoolhouse to Courthouse: the Judiciary's Role in American Education byCall Number: KF4119 .F76 2009 (Lockwood)Publication Date: 2009
- Special Education Law byCall Number: KF 4210.G84 2008Publication Date: 2008
- The Law of Schools, Students, and Teachers in a Nutshell byCall Number: Study Aids: KF4119.3 .A43 2009Publication Date: 2009
- Education Law Stories byCall Number: KF4119 .E277 2008Publication Date: 2008
- Law and American Education: A Case Brief Approach byCall Number: KF4118 .P35 2006Publication Date: 2006
- We the Students: Supreme Court Cases For and About Students byCall Number: KF4150 .R37 2008Publication Date: 2008
- Search & Seizure in the Public Schools byCall Number: KF9630 .Z9 R67 2006Publication Date: 2006
- College and School Law : Analysis, Prevention, and Forms byCall Number: KF4225 .P73 2010 (+ CD ROM in Koren)Publication Date: 2010
The Complete IEP Guide: How to Advocate for Your Special Ed Child - Siegel, Lawrence M. Call Number: Reference KF4209.3.Z9 S57 2009. Publication Year: 2009
A Guide to Special Education Advocacy: What Parents, Clinicians, and Advocates Need to Know - Cohen, Matthew . Call Number: Online in Ebrary. Publication Year: 2009
School Law - New York State School Boards Association. Call Number: KFN5648 .A73 H3
Education Law Journals
- Brigham Young University Education and Law Journal (also available on HeinOnline and in print at the Law Library)
- Journal of Law and Education (also available on HeinOnline and in print at the Law Library)
- ELA Notes/Education Law Association (available in print at the Law Library)
- Yearbook of Education Law (Education Law Association) "...analyses of the previous year's federal and state court decisions that affect private and public elementary and secondary schools and higher education".
See more education law journals at UB.
Search these legal periodical indexes to identify relevant articles. Be creative with your search terms. Try very general as well as specific searches.
Online Legal Periodical Indexes:
Online Indexes with Quickest CURRENT coverage:
- Current Index to Legal Periodicals (CILP) on Westlaw* only (most recent 8 weeks)
- SSRN (Social Science Research Network)(2000s-present) Working papers, accepted papers
Indexes in paper format:
- Index to Legal Periodical Literature K 9 N319 (ref)(1888-1939)
- Index to Legal Periodicals K9 N32 (Ref) (1926-1994)
- Index to Legal Periodicals & Books K9 N32 (Ref) (1994-present)
- Annual Legal Bibliography K 38 H365 (Ref) (1960-1981)
- Subject Compilations of State Laws KF 240 S795 (Ref) (1960 - present) Identify law review articles and books that cite to state statutes on specific topics. Also on HeinOnline.
Search Multiple Periodical Indexes at once
- (over 360+ UB subscription databases searched at once from ONE SEARCH BOX) Everything Search
You can also find relevant articles and other scholarly information by searching other online databases (subject listing) available at UB.
Recent Law review Articles
- Terry Jean Seligmann, Sliding Doors: The Rowley Decision, Interpretation of Special Education Law, and What Might Have Been, 41 J.L. & Educ. 271 (2012).
- Nancy Vinsel, Drinking and Driving School Buses: Zero Alcohol Tolerance for Public School Bus Drivers, 41 J.L. & Educ. 271 (2012).
- Matthew Beatus, Layshock Ex Rel. Layschock v. Hermitage School District, 56 N.Y.L. Sch. L. Rev. 785 (2011/2012).
- Scott Farbish, Sending the Principal to the Warden’s office: Holding School Officials Criminally Liable for Failing to Report Cyberbullying, 18 Cardozo J.L. & Gender 109.
- Maren Hulden, Charting a Course to State Action: Charter Schools and §1983, 111 Colum. L. Rev. 1244 (2011).
- Lesley Lueke, High School Athletes and Concussions, 32 J. Legal Med. 483 (2011).
- Mary Kenyon Sullivan, Long-Term Suspensions and the Right to an Education: An Alternative Approach, 90 N.C.L. Rev. 293 (2011).
O'Brian Hall (North Campus)
Buffalo, NY 14260
Audio Visual Materials
- Board of Education v. Earls byCall Number: Law Koren AV Center / 3 Day: DVD KF228 .B63 B63 2005Tecumseh, Oklahoma high school student, Lindsay Earls, was upset by her school district's policy of testing all students involved in extracurricular activities for illegal drug use so she challenged it in court. The case was testing whether drug testing of students in extracurricular activities violates the Fourth Amendment's protection against unreasonable searches and seizures.
- United States v. Virginia byCall Number: Law Koren AV Center / 3 Day: DVD KF228 .U5 U56 2010Steeped in history and tradition, the Virginia Military Institute remained all-male long after the state’s other public universities became coeducational. VMI’s leaders and alumni believed that a single-sex environment was essential to the school’s spartan "adversative" educational method. When a female high-school student complained to the U.S. Department of Justice about VMI’s policy, the DOJ filed a lawsuit claiming that the Equal Protection Clause required the state to offer the same opportunities to women as it did to men. The documentary tells the story of the case and the aftermath.
- Massacre at Virginia Tech byCall Number: Law Koren AV Center / 3 Day: DVD HV6534 .B53 M37 2008"Documentary looking at the worst school shooting in American history, when a lone gunman killed at least 32 people on the campus of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute at Blacksburg, Va., before taking his own life. Using extensive access to key witnesses, we delve into the mystery of how Cho, a young man with no criminal history, became a mass murderer."-- from BBC website.
- The Road to BrownCall Number: Law Koren AV Center / 3 Day: DVD KF373 .H644 R63 1990Presents the role of Charles Hamilton Houston in the cases which led to the landmark Supreme Court case of Brown vs. Board of Education. Gives a history of segregation, Jim Crow Laws, the NAACP and biographical information on persons influential in the desegregation movement.