Global Programs: Business Resources
Research & Business Cases
The business case provides justification for undertaking a project or program. It evaluates the benefit, cost and risk of alternative options and provides a rationale for the preferred solution.
The library can help with a number of elements within the business case, including: market research, SWOT analysis, industry drivers, and more!
A full market research guide is available here.
Recommended resources include Business Insights, Entrepreneurial Studies Source and IBISWorld.
For example, try using the keyword search feature in Business Insights to find news and reports on niche markets.
Need examples of a SWOT analysis? Log into the Business Source Complete database and search SWOT analysis in the top search box.
You can also use the Publication Type filter in Business Source Complete to limit your search to SWOT Analysis.
Use the Top Databases list to research articles and case studies on existing companies. By researching industries in IBISWorld, you can find information on competitors, market share, supply and demand industries, marketing efforts, etc.
A business model is a company's plan for making a profit. It identifies the products or services the business will sell, the target market it has identified, and the expenses it anticipates. Business models can be a crucial way for a new company to attract investors and recruit talent.
It is important to keep in mind that a business model is NOT the same as a business plan. "Your business model is the core concept upon which you build your business plan." (Muehlhausen 25)
Much like with Business Cases, UB Libraries can help researchers with background and industry information for inclusion in the business model. Contact me anytime!
Muehlhausen, Jim. Business Models for Dummies, John Wiley & Sons, Incorporated, 2013. ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral-proquest-com.gate.lib.buffalo.edu/lib/buffalo/detail.action?docID=1195722.
Case Study Research
Searching for Case Studies
In Business Source Complete and Entrepreneurial Studies Source:
- Click the Advanced Search link under the search box on the main page
- Scroll down the page to Document Type, and select Case Study from the menu
- Scroll back up the page and enter your search terms (e.g. "Sustainable Development", "biodegradable")
In Business Insights Global:
- From the main homepage, select Case Studies
- Use the filters and search box in the left navigation column to narrow your results
In an Everything search on the UB Library homepage:
- Use quotation marks to search "case study" with your search terms (e.g. "sustainable development" and "case study")
- Narrow your results using the Refine your results filters in the left hand column