Real Estate Development: Top Resources - Real Estate Development
- Business First of Buffalo This link opens in a new windowWestern New York's primary business newspaper. Published weekly, the paper provides local coverage of business, finance, and economic topics
- Gale Business: Insights This link opens in a new windowIntegrated business database containing information from more than a dozen major business reference sources, including company directories, encyclopedias, statistical compendia, and investment services. It focuses on data about companies, industries, products, and brand names, covering the United States and the world.
- Business Source Complete This link opens in a new windowBusiness Source Complete indexes more than 4,100 journals, including nearly 3,300 full-text titles. Many of the full-text items are also available as scanned images. Topics cover nearly every area of business including management, economics, finance, accounting, international business, and more.
- Factiva This link opens in a new windowFactiva is a powerful database that provides access to over 32,000 sources from 200 countries, in 28 languages. With Factiva, researchers can search daily newspapers, magazines, journals, newswires, and trade publications, and it is especially useful when researching current information on companies, industries and financial markets.
Factiva User Guide: https://research.lib.buffalo.edu/factivaguide
- Gale In Context: Environmental Studies This link opens in a new windowCoverage of environmental research, issues, policy, and decision-making in the form of full text journal articles, news stories, interactive maps, statistical data, refereed case studies, podcasts, and more.
- IBISWorld This link opens in a new windowProvides access to over 700 US Industry Risk Rating Reports, over 700 Industry Profiles, over 8000 Publicly Traded US Companies as well as hundreds of Economic & Demographic Profiles.
- JSTOR This link opens in a new windowProvides the full-text of articles from hundreds of the most influential academic journals.
- LexisNexis Digital Library This link opens in a new windowLexis Nexis Digital Library provides access to selected primary federal law and New York law, as well as secondary sources such as treatises and legal study aids. More InfoFull-Text UB ONLY
- Neighborhood Change Database 2010 This link opens in a new windowProvides electronic access to U.S. Census data from 1970-2010, with data normalized to 2010 Census tracts. For use with statistics and GIS applications
- PolicyMap This link opens in a new windowCreate compelling maps of up to five layers, export trend charts with key benchmarks, download data for use in other tools, generate reports, and upload your own data to view it with PolicyMap data. Data included: housing, home sales, education, health, lending, economy, employment, and more.
- Real Estate Information Services (REIS) Network This link opens in a new windowThe REIS database is a source for property and market intelligence, includes vacancy rates, rent levels, cap rates, new construction, rent comparables, sales comparables, valuation estimates, and capital market trends.
This database is restricted, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request access.
- Regional Business News This link opens in a new windowRegional Business News incorporates coverage of more than 80 regional business publications covering all metropolitan and rural areas within the United States.
- Social Explorer This link opens in a new windowDemographic information about the United States including historical data back to 1940.
- Wall Street Journal This link opens in a new windowA leading newspaper in business and finance. More InfoUB ONLY
- Building Information Modeling: a strategic implementation guide for architects, engineers, constructors, and real estate asset managers byCall Number: ebook1. Building industry challenges and opportunities -- 2. BIM implementation strategies -- 3. Business process reform -- 4. BIM-based enterprise workflow -- 5. The building life cycle -- 6. Building information exchange challenges -- 7. Building information exchange requirements -- 8. The way forward.
This resource makes the business case for building information modeling (BIM), how it can improve collaboration, facilitate better design and construction, optimize workflow and reduce error. It discusses the barriers to BIM, from business culture to training, and how these barriers can be overcome.
- Building Small : a toolkit for real estate entrepreneurs, civic leaders, and great communities byCall Number: ebookPublication Date: 2021-02-28Small-scale, incremental, real estate development offers a growing alternative to more conventional approaches. It helps create more authentic places, acts as a magnet for new investment, helps attract talent based employment, all while fostering a more resilient local economy. This in turn helps communities better differentiate themselves when seeking new investment in an increasingly competitive landscape. For its virtues, however, entrepreneurial real estate developers working to 'build small' face jurisdictional and capital inertia that impedes bringing this approach to scale. Drawing on extensive research and using case studies, interviews with over 100 developers, and first hand knowledge gained from tours through15 cities, author Jim Heid articulates what small-scale development means, why it is essential to communities of every size and location, and how entrepreneurial developers and community leaders can help remove the obstacles to small--resulting in more successful projects and a better approach to building community.
- Excel 2019 Bible byCall Number: ebookISBN: 111954937XUB faculty and students have has unlimited access to this book.
The complete guide to Excel 2019 Whether you use Excel at work or at home, you will be guided through the powerful new features and capabilities to take full advantage of what the updated version offers. Learn to incorporate templates, implement formulas, create pivot tables, analyze data, and much more. Navigate this powerful tool for business, home management, technical work, and much more with the only resource you need, Excel 2019 Bible. Create functional spreadsheets that work Master formulas, formatting, pivot tables, and more
- Finance for Real Estate Development byCall Number: ebookContents:
The development process -- The basics of real estate finance -- Land valuation for acquisition -- Task management and budgeting -- Capital markets for real estate -- Obtaining financing for development -- The development entity, joint ventures, and the financing structure -- Managing the entitlement process for financial viability -- Public/private partnerships -- How developers get capital.
- Introduction to Real Estate Development and Finance byCall Number: ebookThis book provides readers with a basic understanding of the principles that underlie real estate development. A brief historical overview and an introduction to basic principles are followed by examples from practice. Case studies focus on how cities change and respond to the economic, technological, social, and political forces that shape urban development in North America. It is important to have a framework for understanding the risks and rewards in real estate investing. In measuring return, consideration must be given to both investment appreciation and the cash flow generated over the life of a project. In addition, metrics are presented that can be useful in assessing the financial feasibility of a real estate development proposal. This book also provides an overview of the forces of supply and demand that gauge the potential market for a new project. In determining the size of "residual demand", estimates for population growth, family formation, and new development are important. All development projects fall under the auspices of one or several jurisdictions. Though every jurisdiction has different rules and procedures, basic knowledge of the planning process is critical to the success of all development projects regardless of location. Furthermore, all projects have a legal component. Basic issues of land ownership, property rights, property transfer, and land registration are reviewed, all of which need to be considered when a property is sold or purchased. This book also provides a primary on the design and construction process. In constructing a building, a team of experts is first required to design the architectural, structural, and heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems for a building. An overview is provided of each building system: wood, concrete, and steel. Critical to a successful real estate development, project management principles for the processes of design, bidding, and construction are explored, with close attention given to budgeting, scheduling, and resource management.
- Making It in Real Estate: Starting Out As a Developer byCall Number: ebookWhat does it take to be a successful real estate developer? Author John McNellis tells you how, sharing practical tips and advice from his wealth of experience over 35 years in real estate development. Like meeting with a mentor over coffee, McNellis entertains with witty anecdotes, and wisdom on how to take advantage of opportunities and avoid pitfalls. Offering humorous insights, the book covers the ins and outs of how to get financing, working with architects, brokers, and other professionals, how to make a good deal, and win approval for your project.
- Professional Real Estate Development byCall Number: ebookThis basic primer covers the nuts and bolts of developing all types of real estate, including multifamily, office, retail, and industrial projects.
- Real Estate Development byCall Number: ebookThis comprehensive book covers each stage of the real estate development process, explaining the basics of idea conception, feasibility, planning, financing, market analysis, contract negotiation, construction, marketing, and asset management. Widely used by professionals and in universities, this book should be on the shelf of anyone involved in architecture, planning, development, investment, or related fields.
ArcGIS Desktop allows you to create maps, perform spatial analysis, and manage data. You can import multiple data formats and use powerful analytical tools and workflows to identify spatial patterns, trends, and non-obvious relationships.
UB affiliates are eligible for a free UB ArcGIS Online account, provided by the College of Arts and Sciences.
This includes a license for ArcGIS Pro, which can be installed on personal or UB-owned computers. Additional Esri software/apps are available -- ArcGIS StoryMaps, ArcGIS Urban, ArcGIS CityEngine, ArcGIS Business Analyst, ArcGIS GeoPlanner, ArcGIS Insights, and ArcGIS Tracker.
In order to create an account, begin by completing the CASet work order form. In the section titled, "Describe the issue below", add a note requesting an invitation to join UB's ArcGIS Online organization.
Once you have an organizational account, you can download the ArcGIS Pro installer here:
Select Licenses from the left.
Existing ArcGIS Online users can log in here: Map Gallery for University at Buffalo, College of Arts and Sciences