UB Library Resources to Support Your Venture Development: FinTech Switch
FinTech Switch with UB Career Services
This tab is dedicated to library resources that could be helpful in association with the FinTech Switch design competition from UB Career Services. Click here for more information on this competition.
Please note, these are resources intended to get you started with this design competition. Remember to do additional research as needed! Please contact the Librarians if you need additional assistance with research.
On this page
What is design thinking?
"Design thinking has a human-centered core. It encourages organizations to focus on the people they're creating for, which leads to better products, services, and internal processes. When you sit down to create a solution for a business need, the first question should always be what's the human need behind it?"
Source: IDEO U
"Design Thinking is a design methodology that provides a solution-based approach to solving problems. It’s extremely useful in tackling complex problems that are ill-defined or unknown, by understanding the human needs involved, by re-framing the problem in human-centric ways, by creating many ideas in brainstorming sessions, and by adopting a hands-on approach in prototyping and testing."
Source: Interactive Design Foundation
Empathic and Ethnographic Research
What is empathic research and how does it relate to design thinking?
- "Empathic research and design is not concerned with facts about the user, such as their age or location. Rather, it focuses on their feelings towards a product and their motivations in certain situations. Why do they behave in a certain way? Why do they prefer to do this instead of that? Why do they click here rather than there when presented with a particular screen or page? These are the kinds of insights you’ll uncover during the empathize phase, and they’ll help you to create user experiences that cater to your audience."
- Source: Stevens, E. (2018, November 22). What Is Empathy In Design Thinking? A Comprehensive Guide To Building Empathy For Your Users. CareerFoundry.
- Click here to access.
Some articles (scholarly and non-scholarly) on empathic research related to design thinking:
- From Medium.com: "9 Best Empathic Research Methods To Help You Dig Deeper & Truly Understand Your Customer"
- Gasparini, A. (2015, February). Perspective and use of empathy in design thinking. In ACHI, the eighth international conference on advances in computer-human interactions (pp. 49-54).
- Thomas, J., & McDonagh, D. (2013). Empathic design: Research strategies. The Australasian medical journal, 6(1), 1.
- Click here to run a search in the UB Libraries Everything Search on "empathic research and design thinking" to find more articles and books related to this topic.
What is ethnography?
- "Ethnography is a research method central to knowing the world from the standpoint of its social relations. It is a qualitative research method predicated on the diversity of culture at home (wherever that may be) and abroad. Ethnography involves hands-on, on-the-scene learning — and it is relevant wherever people are relevant."
- Source: Anthropology @ Princeton
How does ethnographic research relate to design thinking?
- "Ethnography encompasses a variety of qualitative research methods that focus on developing a deep understanding of users by observing and interacting with them in their native habitat. Techniques here would include participant observation, interviewing, journey mapping, and job‐to‐be‐done analysis."
- Source: Liedtka, J. (2015). Perspective: Linking design thinking with innovation outcomes through cognitive bias reduction. Journal of product innovation management, 32(6), 925-938.
- Click here to access.
Some additional resources on ethnographic research related to design thinking:
- From Medium.com: "Ethnography: The First Step in Design Thinking"
- From Think.Design, a user design company: "User & Design Research: Ethnography"
- Click here to run a search in the UB Libraries Everything Search on "ethnographic research and design thinking" for
The Moving to a New Place Challenge
Articles on Evaluating a Job Offer
Cost of Living Calculators & Data
The Cost of College Challenge
Sallie Mae® and Ipsos provide annual data, reports, and infographics on how America pays for college. These reports are linked directly below. Additional videos are included for more information related to the cost of college in the US.
The Relationship Challenge
Below are just a select handful of resources related to financial management for couples. There are MANY resources out there, so always be sure to check the credentials of the people giving advice. It's also important to know that there is no one "right" answer as there are many factors involved.
There are also MANY videos on YouTube about money management for couples (whether married or not). A few select videos are included here for reference. Find more finds by clicking here.
The Being My Own Boss Challenge
Resources & Guides