Legal Databases by Subject: Encyclopedias & Dictionaries
Encyclopeda & Dictionary Databases
This is a selective list. Other databases may include access to additional encyclopedias and dictionaries.
United States Law
Gale Virtual Reference Library includes many law-related encyclopedias. Sample titles include:
- West's Encyclopedia of American Law Shirelle Phelps and Jeffrey Lehman, eds. 2nd ed. Detroit, MI: Gale, 2004. 13 vols.
- American Law Yearbook (2005, 2006) An annual supplement West's Encyclopedia of American Law
- Encyclopedia of Crime and Justice Joshua Dressler, ed. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Macmillan Reference USA, 2002. 4 vols.
- Encyclopedia of Prisons and Correctional Facilities Mary Bosworth, ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Reference, 2005. 2 vols.
- World Encyclopedia of Police Forces and Correctional Systems George Thomas Kurian, ed. 2nded. Detroit, MI: Gale, 2007. 2 vols.
- Encyclopedia of Education Law Charles J. Russo, ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, 2008. 2 vols.
- Encyclopedia of the American Constitution Leonard W. Levy and Kenneth L. Karst, eds. 2nd ed. Detroit, MI: Macmillan Reference USA, 2000. 6 vols.
- Landmark Supreme Court Cases: The Most Influential Decisions of the Supreme Court of the United States Richard A. Leiter and Roy M. Mersky. 2nd ed. Facts on File Library of American History New York, 2012. 3 vols.
- Encyclopedia of the Supreme Court of the United States David S. Tanenhaus, ed. Detroit, MI: Macmillan Reference USA, 2008. 5 vols.
- Encyclopedia of Law and Society: American and Global Perspectives David S. Clark, ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, 2007. 3 vols.
State Law (U.S.)
International and Comparative Law
Key to Symbols
UB ONLY - Restricted to current UB-affiliated students, faculty and staff.
LAW ONLY- Restricted to current LAW students and LAW faculty.
IN-HOUSE- Accessible only in designated location (UB library or building).
PUBLIC- Free resource on the Internet, available to everyone.
LexisAdvance (UB law students only)
Westlaw Edge(UB law students only)