Properties Data for Chemicals & Materials: Phase Diagrams
MSI Eureka is a research and information platform that compiles and critically evaluates data on materials constitution, phase diagrams, crystal structure, etc., for a wide variety of material types and systems.
The database covers alloys (steels, bronzes, magnets, electronic materials, and more); non-metals (ceramics, sensors, semiconductors, and more); and composites (cermets and more).
In addition to phase diagrams, it contains over 4,000 evaluation reports written by a global team of scientists affiliated with MSIT. The phase diagrams and evaluative reports are linked to bibliographic citations to the literature, which covers the period from 1830 to the present and are drawn from over 250 journals and grey literature that MSI monitors.
There are two ways to access the database:
- Direct, IP-controlled access via the Internet or
- Using the MSI Eureka Viewer (client software). The Viewer provides a much higher degree of interactivity with the data in the diagrams and reports. Click here for instructions on how to download and install the client software.
A complete list of systems included in MSI Eureka can be found online at: http://www.msiport.com/discover-msi-eureka/information-categories/list-of-all-systems/.
Other Collections of Phase Diagrams
- Alloy Phase Diagrams - ASM Metals Handbook, Vol. 3 UB ONLY
This online reference work includes more than 1,000 binary and 300 ternary diagrams covering most commercial alloy systems. The text explains how to use phase diagrams. The appendix includes the melting and boiling points of the elements, their allotropic transformation, and magnetic transition temperatures and crystal structures.
- Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams. T. Massalski, 3 vols., 2nd ed., 1990
Lockwood Library Science & Engineering Reference Collection TN 690 .B528
- Ternary Alloys. G. Petzow and G. Effenburg, 6 vols., 1988-1993
Lockwood Library Science & Engineering Reference Collection TN 690 .T438
- Handbook of Ternary Alloy Phase Diagrams. ASM, 10 vols., 1997
Lockwood Library Science & Engineering Reference Collection TN 690 .V493
- Phase Diagrams for Ceramists
Produced by the National Institute of Standards and Technology. Consists of 12 volumes plus index.
Lockwood Library Science & Engineering Reference Collection QD501 .L592
Aids to Finding and Understanding Phase Diagrams
- Phase Diagrams - Understanding the Basics UB ONLY
This text describes the basic principles, construction, interpretation, and use of alloy phase diagrams and includes ample illustrations for all important liquid and solid reactions. Gas-metal reactions, important in metals processing and in-service corrosion, also are discussed.
- Phase Diagrams: A Literature Source Book, J. Wisniak, 2 vols., 1981+1986 Supplement Lockwood Library Science & Engineering Reference Collection, QD503 .W575
University at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14260
Citation Management Software
UB has a site license to EndNote, software that allows you to collect, store, organize, retrieve, and automatically format references to journal articles, books, patents, and more in your papers.
For help using EndNote, click here for the EndNote Basics Guide here. The Guide contains descriptions of features, PDF downloads, and videos on how to use EndNote effectively.
For more help, contact Erin Rowley, Engineering Librarian, firstname.lastname@example.org.