History of Medicine: Manuscript/Digital Collections
Searching our Manuscript and Digital collections
Manuscripts include materials such as personal papers, institutional records, photographs, and other archival materials. Our manuscript collections can be found in our finding aids as well as the list of collections on the collection's home page.
Here is a list of some of our collections:
- Albert H. Briggs Collection: Collection of manuscripts belonging to Dr. Albert H. Briggs, one of the twelve original organizers of the Buffalo Medical Union and Buffalo's first appointed health officer.
- Elsie Blanche Augustine collection: Collection of artifacts belonging to Elsie Blanche Augustine from her time serving as a nurse during World War I at Buffalo Base Hospital No. 23 from 1917- 1919 in Vittel, France.
- Charles M. Dake collection: The Charles M. Dake collection includes personal correspondence, records, genealogical materials, and writings with the bulk between 1942-1969. Dr. Dake was the first physician in Niagara Falls, N.Y. to specialize exclusively in anesthesiology.
- Baxter C. Brown Collection: Baxter Brown was Chief of Surgical Services for the 23rd General Hospital, U.S. Army, made up primarily of Buffalo medical personnel which operated in France and Italy during World War II.
- Eighth District Dental Society records: Collection of manuscripts, typescripts, records, biographies, and obituaries related to the Eighth District Dental Society of the State of New York.
Some materials in the History of Medicine Collection have been digitized. They can be found through the UB Libraries Digital Collections page.
Collections that have been digitized include:
Edgar R. McGuire Historical Medical Instrument Collection: Images of various medical instruments found in the Edgar McGuire
Eighth District Dental Society and the origins of the UB School of Dental Medicine: Various documents, ephemera, and photos related to the Eighth District Dental society.
Medical Newspaper Clippings, 1901-1906: Newspaper clippings from October 31, 1901 through June 14, 1906 that cover issues related to public health.
Buffalo Physician Magazine: Formally known as the Buffalo Medical Review, this was a magazine published by the State University at New York at Buffalo School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences and the Office of Publications. The online collection includes issues published between1967-2003.
The Work of a Country Doctor: Digitized Notebooks, Photographs, and Ephemera of Doctor Homer T. Jackson, M.D who practiced medicine in Verona, NY during the late 19th century.