Basic Research Tools: E-Books
What is an E-Book?
An E-book is a book (full-text) in digital format. E-books at UB can be read on any computer or laptop. A special device (like Kindle or SONY Reader) is NOT needed.
E-books are produced by governments, organizations, companies, educational organizations, or they are books made available through a commercial publisher or database.
Can I download an E-Book to my tablet or smartphone?
It is possible to download some E-Books to a device.
See Selected Downloadable "E-Book" Collections for guidance.
Study Aids Online
Can I Find E-Books Using the UB Catalog?
Some of the commercial databases whose E-books are findable through the UB Catalog include:
- Bloomberg BNA - legal looseleaf services & other publications
- CCH Intelliconnect
- Early American Imprints I
- ECCO - Eighteenth Century Collections Online – Law Module
- Gale Virtual Reference Library (includes many encyclopedias)
- Hathi Trust Digital Library
- HeinOnline -American Indian Law Collection, New York Legal Research Library, Legal Classics Library, and others (but not all)
- LEXIS Treatises (available to law students & faculty only)
- LLMC Digital
- Oxford Scholarship Online - Law Collection(only some show up in the UB Catalog due to updating schedule)
- ProQuest Congressional - Congressional documents in pdf format
- Westlaw Treatises (available to law students & faculty only)
- AND MANY MORE!
Note: The Libraries' Catalog may not completely represent the E-Books in these databases at any given time-- the databases are continually updated, and the Catalog records do not appear in the Online Catalog immediately.
Do all E-books in UB databases show up in the Libraries' Catalog?
No. There are some databases at UB whose E-Books are not findable in the UB Catalog at this point in time. They include:
- AILA Link (immigration law resources)
- Early English Books Online
- HeinOnline - Selected materials not included in our Online Catalog
- AND OTHERS
So, it is necessary to search these databases separately to discover the E-Books they contain.
Additional EBooks available at UB (but not all) may be found using the Discovery Tool, "Everything":
Everything Search (locate books, e-books, articles, and more)
Free E-Book Sources & Search Engines
Are there other E-book resources?
YES! For the some of the resources listed above, you need to be affiliated with UB to access the E-books. But there are MANY additional E-book resources that are FREE to anyone, from anywhere! They include: