Basic Research Tools: Journal Articles
These resources search across all disciplines and multiple databases
- Everything (search over 100 databases AND the Libraries' Catalog at once!)
- Everything Help
- Academic Search Complete (multidisciplinary; full text articles)
- Google Scholar (links to full text of articles from certain UB databases. See directions for setting preferences here.
- Advanced Google Scholar Tips (pdf)
- EbscoHost Research Databases (search scores of commercial databases (many subjects) simultaneously).
- Microsoft Academic Search
- Version updated 2017. FAQs
More Indexes to Journals and Other Materials
Go to the UB Libraries “Research Guides” page.
Select guides from a variety of subjects. The databases listed will lead you to journal articles and other materials.
Here are just a few subjects/databases you will find under this sampling of subjects:
Law & Legal Studies--Foreign & International
Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law Online
Law & Legal Studies--United States
Eighteenth Century Collection Online
Religion Case Reporter
Cambridge Histories Online
Global Gender Studies
Academic Search Complete
LGBT Life with Full Text
Periodicals Archive Online (19thC-1995)
Periodicals Index Online (1770-1995)
Cambridge Histories Online
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
Chicago Defender (1910-1975)- ProQuest Historical Newspapers
New York Times (1851-2010) - ProQuest Historical Newspapers with Index (1851-1993)
Dissertations and Theses
Worldwide Political Science Abstracts
PAIS International Online
Political Science Database
CQ Press Library
Policy File Index
Web of Science
Find Law Review and Journal Articles - USE INDEXES
Search these legal periodical indexes to identify relevant articles. Be creative with your search terms. Try very general as well as specific searches.
If needed, DON'T HESITATE to consult a librarian for assistance obtaining the FULL TEXT of any article identified.
ONLINE Legal Periodical Indexes:
- Index to Legal Periodicals and Books Retrospective (1918-1981)
- LegalTrac (also Westlaw* and Lexis*, but known as Legal Resource Index (LRI))(1980 - present)
- Subject Compilations of State Laws (1960 - present) Identify law review articles and books that cite to state statutes on specific topics. (HeinOnline)
- Full-Text Online Law Review/Journal Search (ABA; Google Custom Search Engine) FREE
Searches the free full-text of over 400 online law reviews and law journals,plus document repositories hosting academic papers and related publications. Several are available online only.Coveragevaries. Includeslist of reviews/journals/document repositories which have free full-text available online, but which must be searched/browsed manually.
ONLINEIndexes with Quickest CURRENT coverage:
- Current Index to Legal Periodicals (CILP)
on Westlaw* only (most recent 8 weeks)
on HeinOnline(with short delay)
- SSRN (Social Science Research Network)(2000s-present) Working papers, accepted papers.
ONLINE Indexes with Foreign & International Coverage:
- Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals (1960 - present)(HeinOnline)
- Legal Journals Index (LJI) on Westlaw* only (1986-present) (UK & Europe)
- Public International Law (1996 - present) [Internet database; free to all]
- Szladits' Bibliography on Foreign and Comparative Law (HeinOnline) (1790-1990)
Indexes inPAPER format:
- Index to Legal Periodical Literature K 9 N319 (1888-1939)
- Index to Legal Periodicals K9 N32 (1926-1994)
- Index to Legal Periodicals & Books K9 N32(1994-present)
- Current Law Index K33 .C87(1980-2006)
- Annual Legal Bibliography K 38 H365 (Ref) (1960-1981)
- Subject Compilations of State Laws KF 240 S795 (Ref) (1960 - present) Identify law review articles and books that cite to state statutes on specific topics.
Indexes in PAPER format with Foreign & International Coverage
- Public International Law JZ 5 P83 (Ref) (1975-2000, 2006-present)
- Index to Canadian Legal Literature ( Canadian abridgment, second edition) KE1 I53 (1981-2007) Also known as: Canadian current law, 1988-1990; and Canadian legal literature, 1991-.
- Index to Canadian legal periodical literature (Canadian Association of Law Libraries) KE8 .I53 (1961-2006)
- Szladits' Bibliography on Foreign and Comparative Law K38 B536 (Ref) (1984-1998)
*Westlaw/Lexis access is restricted to law students only
Where Can I find that Article?
To locate journals at UB (once you have a citation to an article)
in the Catalog as a TITLE search.
3. Many databases link directly to the full text of articles. Follow the links. Google Scholar can be set up to link to UB databases from off campus (see directions under "off-campus use") (for current UB students and faculty).
Get an Article UB Does Not Own
SIGN UP FOR "Delivery+" (UB’s Inter-Library Loan Service)
Use this service to order books, articles, and other materials that are not available in the UB Law Library.
This service can also be used to have materials delivered from the Abbott Library (South Campus) and the Annex (off-campus storage).