Music: Research Databases
Subject guide for music research, including databases, scores, audio/videoLast Updated: Jan 3, 2023 4:25 PM
- Music Index This link opens in a new windowResearch database with indexing, abstracts and some full text of music-related articles. More InfoPartial Full-Text UB ONLY ONLY
- RILM Abstracts of Music Literature This link opens in a new windowMusic-related research database with international coverage. More InfoPartial Full-Text UB ONLY
- GROVE Music Online This link opens in a new windowAuthoritative resource for music research that includes full content from the second editions of New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, 2nd ed., New Grove Dictionary of Opera, 2nd ed., New Grove Dictionary of Jazz and partial content from the second editions of The Grove Dictionary of American Music and The Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments. More InfoFull-Text UB ONLY
- Recent Researches in Music Online (RRIMO) This link opens in a new windowOnline access to A-R Published Critical Performing Editions.
- RISM: Online Catalogue of Musical Sources This link opens in a new windowIndex and guide to locations of music manuscripts and early printed music. More InfoPUBLIC
- Rock's Backpages This link opens in a new windowThe world's biggest archive of music journalism and pop writing of the last 60 years. More InfoStreaming Media UB ONLY
- Doctoral Dissertations in Musicology (DDM)Doctoral Dissertations in Musicology (DDM) is an international database of bibliographic records for completed dissertations and new dissertation topics in the fields of musicology, music theory, and ethnomusicology, as well as in related musical, scientific, and humanistic disciplines. The fully searchable database containing over 16,400 records, including the corrected and updated contents of all earlier printed editions of Doctoral Dissertations in Musicology and supplements contributed from musicological centers throughout the world.
- C.A.I.R.R.S. for MusicComputer-Assisted Information Retrieval Service System - A database of music research literature, particularly in the areas of music therapy and medicine.
- Thesaurus Musicarum LatinarumThe Thesaurus Musicarum Latinarum (TML) is an evolving database of the entire corpus of Latin music theory written during the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. It complements but does not duplicate the Thesaurus Linguae Graecae (TLG), Thesaurus Linguae Latinae (TLL), Lexicon musicum Latinum medii aevi (LmL), and similar projects such as the Center for Computer Analysis of Texts (CCAT) and saggi musicali italiani (SMI). Please note, as of July 2016, TML is available in an interim version.
- DIAMM (the Digital Image Archive of Medieval Music)An archive of digital images of European sources of medieval polyphonic music. The database enables searches by many criteria including work title, manuscript, composer, genre, or text.
Multidisciplinary Databases with Significant Music Content
- Project Muse This link opens in a new windowFull-text journals in the humanities & social sciences. More InfoFull-Text UB ONLY
- FirstSearch WorldCat This link opens in a new windowDiscover books and many other types of materials held by libraries around the world. More InfoUB ONLY
- Academic Search Complete This link opens in a new windowComprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database. More InfoFull-Text UB ONLY
- MasterFILE Premier This link opens in a new windowAll subject areas. More InfoPartial Full-Text UB ONLY
- Periodicals Index Online This link opens in a new windowCovers all subject areas; use for coverage as far back as 1770 and up to 1995. More InfoPartial Full-Text UB ONLY
- Web of Science Core Collection This link opens in a new windowMulti-disciplinary citation indexes covering journals, book chapters, and conference papers. More InfoPartial Full-Text UB ONLY