Aerial Photographs of Buffalo and WNY: Additional Resources
Links to other Aerial Collections
Erie County Aerial Photographs
- Erie County Aerial Photographs (Erie County Public Works Department). Currently has photos from 1920 and 1951.
- Town of Tonawanda Aerial Maps. The town has aerial photos for recent periods (currently 2014).
Canada Aerial Photographs
- National Air Photo Library (Natural Resources Canada). Extensive aerial and high-altitude images of Canada.
- See also: Introduction to Air Photo Interpretation, a page that explains how to 'read' these photographs.
- Canada: Prince Edward Island. Browse Photographs by Community.
- Canada: Niagara Air Photo Index (Brock Univ.): The Niagara Air Photo Collection includes air photos of the Niagara region spanning 1934-2015. While the focus is on Canada, a few aerials for the New York Niagara region appear.
Collections at Other Institutions (Selected List)
- United States: National Archives Collections
- Bureau of Land Management Aerial Photography Archive. Over 451,000 images; 1950s-1980s; B+W, Natural Color, and False Color Infrared images.
Listed alphabetically by country or state, then by city or county, etc. Most are vertical aerial satellite images, but a few oblique or selective collections are here because of their usefulness.
- Australia: Aerial Photographs Collection at the National Library
- Australia: Commonwealth Historical Aerial Photography Collection
- Britain From Above (English Heritage). Digital project to cover 95,000 of the oldest and most valuable photographs in the Aerofilms collection, dating from 1919 to 1953.
- California Air Photo Database (USC Berkeley). State photos and some non-California aerials (including foreign locations).
- California Aerial Photo Collection (UC Davis). Also has list of links to other states.
- California: Humboldt County (Humboldt State Univ.).
- Cities & Urban areas of the United States (Univ. of Minn.). Photo mosaics of selected cities in the U.S.
- Colorado: Aerial Photographs of Colorado (U of Colorado, Boulder). 1,700+ digitized aerials of Colorado taken by the U.S. Forest Service, 1938 to 1947. Also links to other Colorado sites.
- Connecticut: MAGIC: Map and Geographic Information Center (UCONN). Wonderful collection and online site. Collections of state agencies can also be accessed here.
- Connecticut: Aerial Photographs (Connecticut State Library). A collection of aerial photographs from 1934 Fairchild Aerial Survey, Inc. flights covering the state of Connecticut.
- Denmark Aerial Photograph Collection (National Library). Over 4 million images and negatives.
- Florida Aerial Maps (University of Florida). Coverage of most of state.
- Great Britain: National Collection of Aerial Photography. Extensive aerial photographs and negatives covering Europe and the World.
- Israel: Historical Aerial Photograph Collection
- Louisiana State Aerial Photograph Collection. (LOUISiana Digital Library)
- Louisiana: New Orleans (1949) (1960). Small collection.
- Michigan: Detroit Area (Wayne State). Aerial photos of Detroit and area between 1949 to 1997.
- Minnesota Aerial Photography Index. Coverage for the state of Minnesota only, with photos for all counties (1936 to date).
- Oklahoma Aerial Photographs (OK Dept. of Libraries).
- Oregon: Selected Locations (U of Oregon). Mostly Oregon and Washington state. Wide coverage dates.
- New York State: Digital Orthoimagery Application (New York State GIS Clearinghouse).
- New York State Orthos Online. GIS-view of state in seamless imagery.
- New York State: Syracuse University Map Collection Aerial Photographs of NY.
- United States and North America: NOAA Photo Library. Has aerial and remote-sensing images.
The Fairchild Aerial Photography Collection at Whittier College is one of the largest libraries of aerial photographs in North America. The Collection is estimated to consist of at least 500,000 items, including prints, negatives, photoindices, and photomosaics. All of the photographs in the Collection were produced by Fairchild Aerial Surveys, Inc., or its subsidiaries and contractors during the period of 1927-1965, and are mostly black-and-white, vertical images.